1896 help?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Don

1896 help?

Post by Don »

Just recieved a Krag markings are:
1896 #100072. The barrel is 22 1/16 long with a front sight that is dove tailed and brazed on I believe. The stock has a saddle ring on the left side with a P behind the guard. There is a box onthe left side but can't make it out(well rubbed area). The front band is different than any I've seen before. It is bright metal and has two edges that extend up on the top as if to protect the front of the rear sight. Sorry if I haven't explained this very will but I have ordered two books and might be able to do better when they arrive. Thanks in advance for any and all information.
Don

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1896 help?

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Again Don,
You have what seems to be a rifle converted by someone to carbine configuration. The serial number isn't in the carbine range. Yours doesn't show up on my serial number list but 100070 and 17 other various numberes around it were rifles issued to 3rd Wisc. Vol. Inf. It is possable that yours was also.
You are correct about the band being a sight protector.
Does your gun have a hand guard?
Do you know what model rear sight it has?
Is it marked Model 1896 or just 1896?
Ned

Don

Post by Don »

1.Yes it does have a handguard
2.It says Model 1896
3. I believe it is a 1898 sight ????
4. It also had two cleaning rods with strange ends and oiler in butt stock
Thanks again for your help!
Don

Don

Post by Don »

My eyes aren't what they should be anymore this could be maked Model 1898. Springfield Armory. 100072

I just can't tell Also the firing pin assembly does not look like the one on my o3 could you tell me a little about it?
Thanks again!
Don