Reloading Info Needed

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Bradley Starkey

Reloading Info Needed

Post by Bradley Starkey »

Hi guys~

I recently tried shooting my M1898 Krag rifle with the out-of-the-box Rem. 180-grain factory loads, and I wasn't too thrilled with the results. Too much recoil, shot way high. I've read here that reloading with the original 220-grain weight is best.

I have a friend who does reloading, and he has offered to let me use his equipment. I guess I would just need the dies, brass, bullets, powder, and primers.

So my questions is, where's the best place to go to get this stuff? Can anyone recommend some brand names? Links to some sites? ???

And what amount of powder should I load to keep the pressure around 2000 psi with a standard 220-grain bullet? I'm just looking to do some plinking/target shooting. I am a total reloading newbie, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :P

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Reloading Info Needed

Post by Ned Butts »

Hi Bradly,
We have been reloading for our full length Krags for a while now with excellent results! We use 40 gr. of IMR 4350 and Hornady 220 gr. round nose bullets which seems to duplicate original ballistics. My Krags with M'96 sights seem to like 33 gr of IMR 4350.
As far as equipment goes Midway is a good source, also Cabella's has some reloading equipment. I have used both RCBS and Lee presses and dies and either will do the job. Lyman is also a good brand. Ask your friend who will be helping you if he has had better luck with any brand or style. Brass is available on Auction Arms and Gun Broker auction sites for around $28-29 and also from Midway I think. Take your time and be safe! These old guns are a pleasure to shoot!!
Good luck,
Ned

Richard_Sherman

Post by Richard_Sherman »

Bradley:

Welcome to the world of Krag. Reloading for the Krag is very straight forword. All the parts and pieces that you'll need are available from Midway, www.midwayusa.com. Remington brass is always available and sometimes Winchester makes an extra run. Both Hornaday and Sierra make 220gr RN (also 180 gr RN if you want to back off a little). I have used 4350 (40gr) and 4064 (37gr) powders - both shoot more consistantly than I do. (The noted loads give me right at 2000 fps muzzel velosities with 220 gr bullets down a 30" barrel)

I recommend that you get a "Krag 30-40 Loadbook" (Midway item 195-829). It contains a wide range of tested and safe loads from several manufacturers.

Remember that your Krag and its sights were built for a 220 gr RN bullet. As the gun left Springfield, the sights zero at 300 yds with a 30" barrel. If everything is right it will shot about 10-12" high at 100 yds. If you can hold good groups you have a good gun.

Shoot safe and enjoy your Krag.

Keep up the fire.

Mitch J.

Post by Mitch J. »

I use 147 gr pulled milsurp bullets and Win 760 powder with Win Large rifle primiers.
I get very good accuracy with this combo.
Also go to www.reloadbench.com for more info.

Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Thanks guys! This should be enough info to get started.

I just bought an M1896 rifle, can't wait for it to get here.
These things are cool! 8)

take care~

mikeallen

Post by mikeallen »

Howdy form Downunder,

I use a cast load in my 98 Krag which consists of 20gns of IMR4227 behind a 165grn GC RN lead projectile.

Shoot quite nicely out to 200yards and have scored quite highly in recent comps using it.

If you can get it I also use ADI AR2209 (45 grains) behind a 145 grain ex mil FMJ projectile this seems to shoot on to the sights out to 300 metres.

I use remington cases with a winchester large rifle primer.

Mikeallen