Magazine door disassembly

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
devildog3054

Magazine door disassembly

Post by devildog3054 »

I know you guys probably get this question frequently, but here it goes. How do you disassemble the loading gate/door assembly. There must be sequential order in which it can be done. Call me dumb but at this point I'm looking at it like Rubic's Cube (dumb sweaty stare) ??? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and remembered. ;D Thanks Again

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Magazine door disassembly

Post by Ned Butts »

Well if youg gun is in good shape and has been well lubed over the years this should work. Take the action out of the stock and hold it in the palm of your left hand with your fingers on the closed magazine door and your thumb around the side plate and squeeze. With your right hand grasp the ear on the front of the hing pin and begin pulling forward while turning it a little from side to side. You should be able to work it out this way and then remove the magazine door. This has worked for me about 75% of the time, unfortunatly not all hing pins were commonly removed and oiled so they can be a little stiff. A vise with soft jaws or padding can be used to hold a little pressure on the mag door and a soft metal punch can be used to get the pin started from the rear. Don't strike the ear on the front of the pin as that can damage it. Clean and oil well before reassembly and the next time should be easier.
Good luck,
Ned

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

Ned has advised you correctly, however, that part of disassembly was never meant to be done by the average 'dogface' in the field. It's strictly an armorer's job.

If the pin is frozen trying to twist it sometine breaks off the lug or disfigures it. I have had the loading gate spring (the long flat one inside) snap on me when attempting to reassemble the unit due to the fact it was partially rusted or that the metal had lost its tensile integrity.

If your pin will not move at all soak it in a penetrating oil solution and then take a small drift pin and gently tap it from the rear until it moves a little. More oil. Try a gentle twist. If it breaks free use your common sense, and feel, to remove it completely.

MOST IMPORTANT: You must keep the gate flush with the action at all times (a padded vise does fine) because if you lose the tension you will bend the pin and then have a world of trouble returning it. HTH

devildog3054

Post by devildog3054 »

Thanks a million! I did not want to go about this and break something because I know that Krag parts are not easy to get. I recently purchased a small tablemount type vice from Craftsman that worked great for this particular task. Thanks Again! Semper Fidelis "Always Faithful"