Can anyone believe it??!!

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Olsen

MartinRe: Can anyone believe it??!!

Post by Olsen »

Martin, I apologize. You are obviously a gentleman, defending a friend's statement made in jest. Nord, I will look to enjoy your expertise on Krags. It shows you are in high regard with your friends here on this forum. :-[

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone believe it??!!

Post by Tom Butts »

Well!!! I didn't mean to start such a melee!!! I hope we can all let this pass and remain on good terms and respectfull of our resident experts here. Let's all look back on this and laugh together that someone has spent that much on a gun like this!! Ned does make an excellent point about this price inflating other guns that us more reasonable ( and less wealthy ) people would hope to bid on. Nord, Martin, Ned and Don B. I appreciate your support for myself and each other.

Olsen, I have to say, not a good first impression to many of us on the forum. I hope that your apology is sincere and that the name-calling will stop. I hope you will continue to use our site in a manner respectful of the comments of the experts whose knowledge we enjoy here. Just one comment about the price guide book. You say that this fellow says that a sniper model sould be worth $3500 in excellent condition. The gun in the auction is definitely not in excellent condition. Also, of course I thought the people involved might read my post. I have nothing to hide, I'm not afraid of them, I was just stating that I thought the bidding had gone way too high in such a short amount of time.

So, let's all have a drink of whatever we like best and relax a bit.

Regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

PS Why does the bidding never seem to go this crazy on a gun when I am selling??????

Nord

Post by Nord »

OK, I promise not to bite anybody.

I'll try at least...

But the whole thing made me think of an auction at an arts gallery where two russian oil-millionaires started bidding against each other and drove the price through the roof.
Both of them were thinking that the painting had to be worth much since the other fellow were bidding on it, while the whole thing started when the first russians mistress said she liked the painting.

The artist got a really good start on his career, and his paintings got famous, but....

For some reason every rifle with the word "Sniper" attached to it started to bring cash after the movie "Enemy at the gates"...

Still trying to behave... ::)
Nord

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Nord,

Good point, well stated! It is interesting how words like "sniper" and "carbine" and "bayonet with cavalry scabbard" get thrown around quite generously on auctions.

And, nice job not biting! I know you are not dangerous, and one of the good guys!!! ;)

Regards,

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

Olsen

Post by Olsen »

Tom, the apology was sincere and the feeling is mutual. thanks, olsen :o p.s. Tom, my original beef wasn't with your post. you did "temper" your remarks. Also, to Don B in KS, the whole reason I used the word nerd was to evoke the exact response that you gave me and to show how it felt when someone gets dissed. Thanks for making my point. :)
Nuf said about all this.

mikeallen

Post by mikeallen »

Hi All,

A Krag M98 (in ratty condition sold recently here in Australia for $2500 (or @US$1250). I would have not paid any more than around $400 AUD for it. (Barrel shot out, missing parts, no rear sight).

I recently had my collection assessed for insurance purposes and the assessor set a replacement value on my M98 (with bayonet, cleaning gear, mills belt, sling etc) at $3700 (Aussie Dollars). It seems that a where a rifle is a little uncommon every one goes mad in throwing the dollars around.

It seems the same here down under when a SMLE sniper comes up (or anything that MAY have been remotely associated with the BOER war or GALLIPOLI) the $$$$$$$$ start getting madly tossed around.

Mike

oldammoguy

Post by oldammoguy »

Mike,
How difficult is it to collect guns in Australia? I was of the impression that your gun laws had recently become very restrictive.
Guy H. in sunny (and cool at last) North Florida

Tom Reese

Post by Tom Reese »

Well Nord, I reckon you have started a fire from way ayonder and I see it got put out in not too short an order. ::)

All I know is that without you, I would have never gotten my 94 Norwegian Krag rifle back together properly and might I add most economically. ;D

I hope you are keeping your toes warm in the old Northland! Watch those Sami's! ;)

mikeallen

Post by mikeallen »

well for now we can collect rifles and other items on a collectors license with some special restrictions (storage, where you can shoot etc etc) BUT once you get all set up and licensed (now this is the fun side) and by the way our crime has not gone down the baddies still somehow to get full auto and semi auto etc .

Normally you need to be a mmeber of a club or have a 'geniune reason' that satisifies the police commissioner (here the commissioner is the overall state police leader (we do not do them by city or county here). Once you have satisified all of the requirements you will be issued a license once you buy a firearm you need to apply for a 'permit to acquire' which take between 28 and 40 days to process (currently) this is to allow a cooling off period for those wanting a gun for a crime of passion. Once you receive the PTA you may pick up your selection and if you fall in love again back through the process again and again and again.

Yes a lot of guns are restricted here (even the humble .22 auto) and each type is listed by category these are;

A B C D H R generally encounterd by most people wanting a gun. Most licenses are issued for A & B, C,D H & R are rare and these cover pistols, auto loaders and pump shot guns and machine guns. An interesting side light is that pump action rifles are a &B....

The Krag rifle is considered and antique in Australia (EXCLUDING Queensland - where i LIVE and must be licenses and registered) ammo here is next to rocking horse poo in availability but can be bought somewhere in the world thus ammo is available.

So this is a brief comment on owning a gun in Aussie but it CAN be done.

P.S.

Recent ly 2 people were shot dead in victoria with a revolver and pistol so we are now looking at a total pistol ban here (i may be going to New Zealand yet)

Mike