WTK - Hand guard removal

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Richard_Sherman

WTK - Hand guard removal

Post by Richard_Sherman »

I have an 1892/96 Krag (s/n 18433) which has a damaged hand guard. I would like to remove it, repair it if I can (replace it if I can't) and reinstall it. Can anyone give me the best way to do that. As in most things, I expect there are several wrong ways to do this, but only one "best" way. Left to my own devices I would try most of the wrong ways first.

Thanks

Keep up the fire.

Richard Sherman

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: WTK - Hand guard removal

Post by Tom Butts »

Richard,

The best and safest way to remove the handguard is to take off the stock. That is, remove the front and middle barrel bands, and unscrew the trigger guard screws. Then take off the rear sight. Now, just slide the handguard down the barrel until the barrel width is small enough that the clips will just come off over it.

As far as repair, it depends on how badly damaged it is and in what way. If you do have to glue a crack or something you will have to put it on something to hold the spring clips open at the same width that they would be on the barrel.

Hope I helped somewhat. Good luck.

Tom
[glb]KCA[/glb]

Richard_Sherman

Post by Richard_Sherman »

Thanks Tom:

I figured I would have to invent some sort of jig to trick the handguard into thinking its still on the barrel. I assume that I just reverse the process to get it back togeather.

Keep up the fire

Richard Sherman

JCherry

Post by JCherry »

Tom, I noticed your reference to glueing the handguard back together. I have one that is cracked front and rear, the metal retainers hold it together. What type of glue etc is recommended. The rifle I have appears to be original. If the handguard is glued will that affect the rifles value? Thanks, Have Fun, JCherry