Sub-Caliber Cartridges

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Don_B._in_KS.

Sub-Caliber Cartridges

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

I picked up a box marked '20 SUB-CALIBER CARTRIDGES - CALIBER .30 - FOR - SUB-CALIBER CARTRIDGES.' Loaded Mar. 26, 1926. 172 Gr. 9 degree Boad-Tail Bullet. Head stamp is FA 26. I have a bunch of commercial-for-military stuff dated 29 and 30 but that all uses the 220 Gr. bullet like the old 1898 loading. This uses a bullet like the .30-'06 M1 Ball.

Martin Wagner

Re: Sub-Caliber Cartridges

Post by Martin Wagner »

Hello: Don't know what you are trying to ask but if you go to the section marked articles I have written a brief outline of all types of Krag cartridges. That may help explain several things. If not, email me direct or post it here. HTH

Don_B._in_KS.

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

I was trying to let folks know of what I considered to be an interesting variant including box info. I thought there was something familiar about the ball description but hadn't clicked to it being the old National Match bullet. What are the latest FA rifle cartridge loadings you have noted? All I have seen are Remington (RA 17 & RA 18), Western (WESTERN 29, and Winchester (WRA 30 & WRA 31) in the period following WWI. I assume these are for the government on account of the dated head stamps.

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

I believe that the WRA 31 was the last subcaliber loading. It is interesting to note that a lot of these cases turn up as WWII blanks. I suppose the subcaliber
contract was cancelled but WRA held on to the brass, and when we needed brass for blanks during WWII they were again gotten from the 1931 contract. HTH