1894 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
zazset

1894 Krag

Post by zazset »

I have a chance to purchase a Krag but don't know much about them. The rifle that I am looking at only has "1894" on the top of the receiver and I can't find any reference to such a model. The S/N is 20799 any information that can be given would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Stephen Shukait

Martin Wagner

Re: 1894 Krag

Post by Martin Wagner »

Steve: That's a Model '92, but none were made until 1894, therefore the date.

Most '92s were converted to '96s so do a lot of homework before you buy.

92s have very peculiar characteristics, and I'll name a few. Perhaps you may have found an original, and if so grab it. There is a rod under the barrel, the muzzle is flat, as is the buttplate which has no trap for tools. The extractor screwed on to the bolt sleeve and there is no 'hold-open' notch on the receiver.

That's for starters. Get back with some more info. HTH

zazset

Post by zazset »

Mr. Wagner,
I appreciate you candid and quick response. Here is what I found regarding your questions. There is no rod under the barrel, and no trap for tools. I don't understand the question about the extractor being screwed on to the bolt sleeve, but, being that I don't see a screw then it must not be. I believe that when you ask about the muzzle being flat, I am looking at a round muzzle. Could this be correct? The final point that you told me about is the "hold open" notch on the receiver, I do believe that it does. What would this rifle approx. be worth? I want it for a pass on to my son, so value isn't of great importance but I am wondering where to start the negotiation or take it for the asking price of $300.00. Again I thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.
Stephen Shukait

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

Steve: Based on what you say it sounds like you have a '92/'96. The only Krag flat muzzle was on the '92. One more question....you say there is no trap for tools in the buttplate. Is the buttplate straight or does the bottom toe in like on an '03?

In any event if the rifle has a 30" barrel, all the wood, functions well (have the owner drop a cartridge in the gate and work the action. It should load and eject), and any sort of decent bore.......the price is right, but it's always in your favor if you can get it a bit cheaper....that's called playing the game. HTH