Restoring a 98 Krag

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
dlemaster

Restoring a 98 Krag

Post by dlemaster »

My 16 year old son just recieved a '98 Krag rifle from his grandfather that has suffered the usual butchery, the barrell has been cut to 24" and an '03 sight installed. we took it to the range and it shot great except that extraction was a little stiff, the cases were swelling into a slight gouge in the chamber wall. We just happened to find an original 30" barrell from a '98 on ebay that we were able to purchase for slightly less than the repo barrells offered by Numerich with a great bore. We also found an original stock with an 1899 cartouch (the rifle was made in 1899 according to SRS). What we need now to complete the restoration is the Knurled knob that tightens the sliding sight to the slide for a model 1902 sight, ours has been snapped off. Can anyone help locate a knob? This site is great, we are just learning about Krags and my expertise has been Kentucky Rifles and Civil War Rifles & Carbines. I'm going to join the Association after reading through the forum and seeing the great source of information and equally nice people so willing to help a neophite like me!! Thanks for the help.
Dave

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Restoring a 98 Krag

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello Dave,
It sounds like you have a great project for you and your son, restoring a family heirloom! In my opinion your best bet would be to get a complete sight. They are on ebay, auction arms and gun broker from time to time. S&S Firearms also lists them. Also check our classifieds you might find one there. I always like a project myself so I wish you luck. I'm gld to hear you like the site.
Ned

dlemaster

Post by dlemaster »

Hi Ned
Thanks for the quick response. I had forgot about S&S Firearms I stumbled on to their site a couple of months ago and found some minor parts for my Spencer carbine that I've been looking for for over 20 years. I'll check them out.
The old Krag is going to get a work out Friday night, we just recieved several distruction permits for deer from the Ohio Division of Wildlife for our farm in Southern Ohio, can't wait to see how it performs.
Thanks again for your interest and help.
Dave :D

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Dave,

You mention joining the KCA in your first post. That is great! Click on "Membership Information" on the hompage.

Tom