NRA Krag?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Lance Cullen

NRA Krag?

Post by Lance Cullen »

I just bought what I believe to be an NRA 1898 cut down Krag. 1903 front sight, etc. Stock retains it's upper handguard and has sling swivels. It has been drilled and tapped for a lyman aperture sight on the rear of the receiver. How bad does this hurt the value? I guess it's not original anyway, but I'm curious. I've seen a lot more severe sporter jobs out there. Can anyone give me some info on this? I've wanted a Krag for years and this one should prove to be a good shooter if nothing else. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford an original one! Thanks, Lance
I can't figure out how to attach a picture to this. If anyone wants to email me I can send one. I'd like to know what i've got and if I got a good deal.

gunbarrel

Re: NRA Krag?

Post by gunbarrel »

That describes the rifle I bought back in April almost "to the T." Circumstances about the same, too. It's impossible to say if it's an NRA carbine unless you have the documentation that came with the rifle when it was purchased through the DCM. I don't know how much you paid for yours; I paid $200 and in its excellent condition. Unfortunately, the collector value of these rifles is all gone, but what the heck--I got a Krag. If you want to know the history of it, go to this website (Springfield Research Service) and plug in the serial number:
http://www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm
Good luck!

Lance Cullen

Re: NRA Krag?

Post by Lance Cullen »

I gave $250 shipped. Yours seems to have been a better deal! This one would probably rate high good to low very good condition. I'm like you. Happy to have a Krag. Also it looks nice enough that I won't be ashamed to show it off. i mean it still has a very military look to it. It almost looks like an "original" carbine if you close one eye and hold your mouth just right:) thanks for your reply.