Unusual Danish Krag?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
mkbenenson

Unusual Danish Krag?

Post by mkbenenson »

Would appreciate help in identifying a Danish Krag, has 24 3/4" (muzzle to breech face) barrel in the usual jacket. Marked Haerens Tojfus 1917, ser. no. 112239 is marked on receiver, barrel breech and bolt, ser. no. 13163 is marked on rear sight base, standup leaf, and bayonet lug. No letter prefix or suffix to the numbers. At a guess this was originally a long barrel infantry rifle, the original barrel was shortened and a new barrel jacket installed, with the parts bearing the new numbers. However I find no references to a barrel of this length in either Mallory or Brophy, there is a 24.02" carbine barrel but not a 24 3/4".

Do any of you experts know what this is, or when it might have been converted?

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: Unusual Danish Krag?

Post by Tom Butts »

Hello,

I am not an expert on Danish Krags by any means. I do have a few rifles and a carbine and just love the guns. I have done some research on them and learn what I can. I can't say what your gun might be, but would like to learn more from you and try to figure it out. Do you have the capability to send me some photos of it? You can e-mail me directly at pbutts@stny.rr.com .

How long have you had it? Where did you get it? Have you shot it?

Regards,

Tom

mkbenenson

Re: Unusual Danish Krag?

Post by mkbenenson »

Tom

Looks like any other Danish Krag except for odd barrel. Forend cut short to sporter length, otherwise unaltered. Have never shot it, don't plan to, might make it into a 45-70.