3 Krag Serial Numbers:

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
ourboysof98

3 Krag Serial Numbers:

Post by ourboysof98 »

I discovered this website just recently and am ready to try it out. I have three Krags that I would like to know if anyone has serial number information on them. #1 is a rifle, sn 324737. #2 is a '99 carbine, sn 360123. #3 is a '96 carbine, sn 68649. Thanks for your help. Oh, by the way; in reading the other posts I saw the one on '96 rifle rear sights being altered to carbine sights...well, I bought one of those thinking I was buying a real '96 carbine sight and put it on my '96 carbine. I paid $350 to a dealer from Washington for this sight. He had several in his case. Feeling that I should have known what I was looking for, and I did need a sight, I kept it and it is now on my carbine. I recently bought a reproduction '96 rear sight from S&S for $100 but, I think I like the faked one better. I am still on the look for a real one, or another cheap carbine that has its sight still on it. Thanks.

Martin Wagner

Re: 3 Krag Serial Numbers:

Post by Martin Wagner »

You need to post that dealer's name on this site just to make others aware of this fakery.

I can a dealer having 1 fake sight in his inventory, but when he has 3 there is no doubt in my mind that he is part of a scam.

If you do not want to post it because of fear of retaliation or law suit just mail the info to me directly and I will post it, but I would like to see several scans of this 'fake' sight. MW

ourboysof98

Post by ourboysof98 »

Mr. Wagner. This purchase was 2 1/2 to 3 years ago, and although I still see the man at gun shows and recognize his face I do not know his name. I have not seen him selling the sights since that one show when I bought mine. In his defense, he may not have known they were altered. I know one of your Association members and he was present at that show and viewed my purchase and told me then it was faked. I told him where the man's table was located etc. So, he may have already addressed the problem with the man from Washington. Any way, as collectors, we all get burned occasionally and the best way to prevent that is to know what you are buying. With the thought of spreading knowledge I would be glad to photo the fake '96 sight and email them to you. I know how to do that, I don't know how to post pictures here. Send me your email address or tell me how to find it on this thread and I send the photos to you. Thanks

Hal_Beatty

Post by Hal_Beatty »

Sorry, but you struck out on all the numbers!

A little more information about the faked sight would be helpful. Was the guy you bought the first one from Washington state or that "other" Washington?

Regards,
Hal Beatty

ourboysof98

Post by ourboysof98 »

Hal, thanks for the serial number check. Does anyone know if Springfield Research is still compiling numbers? Is there a chance more Krag numbers will be published in the future or is what we have is it? Thanks again.

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

My email is included in every posting I offer. Yours is not! Any particular reason?

ourboysof98

Post by ourboysof98 »

Only stupidity. As soon as I figure out how to do it I will put my email address on the post. I don't see anyones email address on the posts....I must not know where to look. Marty, you have my email address. spanam2@msn.com.

Keith Alderson

Post by Keith Alderson »

OK Marty, this is a test. I went to my Profile and made changes. I should now have an icon like yours for my email address. I don't know how I got it, but I also have an icon for "Instant Message", which you don't. Is there a reason? I also changed to my name instead of my Ebay user ID; that seems to be the more common practice on this board. Let me know if I need to do anything else. Keith. PS. While I am here. At the KC gun show a couple of weeks ago I found a real '96 carbine real sight. It is heavily pitted and sand blasted but all there and correct. Got it for $25.00; came home cleaned the surface a little, soaked it in cold blue, oiled it up and put it on my carbine. I now have a correct sight, a fake sight and a reproduction sight!