Should I bother

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
J M Costa

Should I bother

Post by J M Costa »

I have an 1895 Krag action with a carbine length barrel. (22" on the button) When I got it I thought about using it for a jack handle it was in such bad shape. The barrel had so much crud in it that it looked like it was .22 cal. With some steel wool and wd40 I went to work. To my surprise the surface had very little pitting and the the biggest surprise was that under all the crud the bore was sharp and cleaned up nicely. Im not sure that this is an original carbine as the front sight is on a barrel band although the crown looks original. There is no stock and all the parts other than the action and barrel are missing. The side of the action is marked: U.S. over 1895. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. 25XXX. The action seemes to be sound. My question is should I bother to restore this thing? I was thinking that if I could round up all of the missing parts I would sent it out to be re case hardened and blued. Is this a worthwhile project? Does anyone have a suggestion as to who would be good for this type of refinishing job? Keep up the good work.

DevilDog

Re: Should I bother

Post by DevilDog »

Never refinish anything until you consult the experts and decide what you want the firearm for (refinish? collector's piece? shooter?). If collector's piece, my reply does not apply to you. If refurbish, shop around;

I just bought a Krag Carbine (actual one!) this year that had been sitting in someone's closet for years. One of the previous owners had reblued the whole thing (terrible job at that!), the bore was unserviceable and the outside of the barrel was extremely pitted. This was to be a gift for one of my sons, and he was going to be just happy to get it (and use it as a shooter someday).
I opted to rebarrel it (Gun Parts Catalog), have it expertly refinished, and have it tested that it was safe to fire (it is). I used Antique and Modern Repair in Virginia Beach. 757-361-0311; Best time to call is 1-6pm M-F.

Martin Wagner

Post by Martin Wagner »

Your action started its life as a scarce 'No Model' weapon, and it is MHO that your best course of action would be to convert it into a shooter. Even if the barrel were correct the original parts to complete a restoration to original configuration would set you back close to $1500, if not more.

Reproduction stocks, handguards, sights, barrel bands, etc., are all available out there, in order for you to get to burning powder. One man's opinion......HTH.

Hal_Beatty

Post by Hal_Beatty »

First, post the full serial number so someone can check for documented history. 25,XXX is in the range of serials for "real" '96 carbines.

Regards,
Hal Beatty

J M Costa

Post by J M Costa »

The full ser# is 25845. The thing that makes me think that it is not a true carbine is that the front sight is on a barrel band that looks like it came from a 1903 Springfield. Perhaps it is an original carbine rebarreled with a carbine barrel? I am new to the Krag field having come to this gun quite by accident and I am still learning. Thanks for all of your assistance.

Hal_Beatty

Post by Hal_Beatty »

Sorry, but 25845 doesn't show up. The nearest rifles in the listings are 25447 and 26006, everything else listed in that area are carbines. So, you can draw your own conclusions, but it sounds like your original thought that it's a cut-down is probably correct.

Regards,
Hal Beatty