Serial Number

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Neil

Serial Number

Post by Neil »

Two messages in one day -- I promise this will not continue!

I have spent a lot of time (too much time) looking for a Krag and have located what I am told is a 1898 Carbine with the serial number 299181.

Is that possible, or am I about to travel a ways to see a cutdown rifle?

Thanks for anyone's help. Neil

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Serial Number

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello Neil,

For the record you can post as many questions in a day that you want or have time to! That serial number is out of the M'98 carbine range of 123161-130965 (+/- possibly a few each way). M'99 carbine production began around 226127 it is possible that it is a M'99 and the date was missread. Make sure that the barrel is 22 in. long and the front sight base is brazed into the barrel and not a band type. Also the barrel band should be held in place by a retaining clip in the side of the forend and there should be no cut out in the butt stock for a sling swivel. That is a quick starter maybe someone will add more.
Good luck,
Ned

Neil

Post by Neil »

Thanks, Ned.

That is a great start.

About the date: I have read somewhere that even a M'99 would have "1898" on the barrel. Is that true?

Neil

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello Neil,
That is not true! Some M'98 and M'96 carbines were arsonal refitted to M'99 specs which could give that impression. They look alike and are all carbines (if all other criteria are met) but are diffrent phases in the evaloution of the Krag.
Ned