Krag 1899 Carbine Rear Sight & handguard

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Bill_League_CityTX

Krag 1899 Carbine Rear Sight & handguard

Post by Bill_League_CityTX »

I have recently aquired a 1899 Carbine with a 1901 Carbine Rear sight. Problem is, someone attempted to sportarize rifle by cutting off sight leaf and leaving only the battle sights. I have a 1896 rear sight and either a 1898 or a 1902 rear sight,(it has a flip up peep at the rear of the open V notch) I could use help on the value of these sights. I would be willing to trade one of them for a proper sight. I also need a correct handguard for 1899 carbine.
I also have a 1898 rifle in great shape with canvas "No Buckle" sling, cleaning kit in butt, and correct bayonet I picked up to go with it. Was "No Buckle" a correct sling for this rifle? I didn't see it on sling website.
I collect Military rifles all countries, all periods.
This is a great website. I'v learned more about Krags in the past 24 hours than in the past 10 years. Thanks for the good work.
Bill,League City,TX

Martin Wagner

Re: Krag 1899 Carbine Rear Sight & handguard

Post by Martin Wagner »

Carbine and rifle sights are graduated differently on the ladder to compensate for the differences in velocity caused by the different barrel lengths. Unlike the .45-70 all Krag rifles used the same ball ammo.

The difference in prices between a carbine sight and rifle sight will shock you. Forinstance, a'96 rifle sight is worth abot $35.00, while a "real" '96 carbine sight will bring close to $500 today. I say real because they are being faked today.

Be prepared to pay $150 for an original '99 carbine handguard, while repros can be had for about $35, or so. Perhaps someone will post the address for S & S Firearms who sells these repros.

Good luck.