New Krag and Navy question

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
tom_markert

New Krag and Navy question

Post by tom_markert »

I just picked up a 1896 US Krag rifle. The serial number is 37208. It has a rear sight that allows for windage adjustment using a "friction" lock at the front end of the sight. It came with two bayonets, one with a 1903 date and a scabbard and the other is stamped 1898. I would be interested in any info about this rifle. I suspect it has been reblued at sometime in the past and the cartouches are weak, probably from sanding.
I was also wondering if Krags were marked when used by the US Navy in WW1. My Grandfather mentioned using one when he was in Vladavolstok Russia in 1917. Thanks for any info and thanks for this site.

Martin Wagner

Re: New Krag and Navy question

Post by Martin Wagner »

Your s/n is close to a papered weapon but again no cigar. S/N 37205 went to Co B 1st USV Eng. Your rifle has had the rear sight replaced at one time with a model 1901 rear sight.

I have never heard of naval markings on Krags used by the Navy at any time at all. Krags were in use by the military and patriotic organizations as late as WWII, and perhaps a little later. HTH MW

Don_B._in_KS.

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

After the Navy converted to Krags beginning in 1900 they purchased all their rifles from the Army. What they purchased from commercial contractors tends to have Navy inspector and ownership marks but the Krag, being built for the Army, will have Army inspector and ownership marks.

tom_markert

Post by tom_markert »

Thanks for the info. I meant to say that my Grandfather mentioned using a Krag, but he never said they were marked by the Navy, just to clear that up.

TJ

Don_B._in_KS.

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

Your question was clear. I assumed it was "Would I recognize a Navy issued Krag if I saw one?" What was your grandfather doing at Vladivostok in 1917? I am more familiar with the U.S. intervention in 1919 than earlier relations with the Imperial Russian government. Was his service all in the Pacific or did he go elsewhere?

tom_markert

Post by tom_markert »

They were there when the Russian Revolution was starting. Apparently Standard Oil has some sort of installation there and the Navy was sent there to protect it. He was off a destroyer, one of four he said, and they actually fought the Reds at one point. Apparently they attacked a bivuac site and killed many sailors. My Grandfather was bayoneted in the knee at one point. I am not sure about the year being correct though, as he was 87 when he told me about it. I was pretty sure he was discharged in 1918.