1899 Carbine Sight & Value Help

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
nucollector

1899 Carbine Sight & Value Help

Post by nucollector »

Hi everyone,

I bought an 1899 Krag Carbine several months ago. 1900 Cartouche on stock, P cartouche near trigger guard. Sight is a 1902 sight with "C" on the right side of the sight. Bore is pitted in one place, rifling is almost smooth.

Carbine dimensions are correct. Is sight correct sight? Is "C" on sight on the correct side? How does the almost smooth bore affect value? Finish is 50% on metal. stock and handguard are in very good shape with clear cartouche marks. SN# 289061

Any help would be appreciated

I have seen some bad Krags moded to look like carbines - I can spot those easily!

Hal_Beatty

Re: 1899 Carbine Sight & Value Help

Post by Hal_Beatty »

Rest assured that you have a "real" carbine, as all Model 1899's were carbines. The cartouche date on the stock is correct for that serial number.

The 1902 rear sight is a replacement as your carbine would have originally been equipped with an 1896 rear sight. Yes, 1902 carbine rear sights were marked with a 'C' the right side of the base. They are also the rarest of the carbine sights as fewer were produced than the other models.

As far as value goes; well it all depends upon where you are in the country, condition and what it's worth to someone else. Generally, bore condition doesn't seem to be that important in comparison to over all condition of the metal and wood. Basically, it's worth what someones willing to pay for it.

Regards,
Hal Beatty

nucollector

Re: 1899 Carbine Sight & Value Help

Post by nucollector »

Thanks for the reply, info is appreciated. I am learning that there are so many variations on the Krag, that its dangerous to buy one based on MY limited knowledge.

Its a learning experience!

Thanks,

Nuccollector