serial number check

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
rodger lay

serial number check

Post by rodger lay »

I have just acquired a model 1898 krag rifle serial number 183923. Cartouched on left side JSA 1899. rifle is in excellent condition with beatiful bright bore and most all of the original finish.Also came with leather sling and brass sight/muzzle protector.I have found no markings on the sling,dont know if it is original but appears to have been on rifle for a lot of years.This is my first krag rifle so any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Rodger

Hal_Beatty

Re: serial number check

Post by Hal_Beatty »

Rodger,
183923 doesn't show up in the SRS listings, so there's no telling its service usage. Some of the more knowledgable folks on this forum can probably tell you about when it was manufactured.

What model rear sight is installed now?

As far as the slings go, the ones initially used with the Krags were the same as had been used on the Trapdoor Springfield and were 66-1/2" long.

Sounds like you found a nice one, Enjoy!
Regards,
Hal Beatty

rodger lay

Post by rodger lay »

Hal,From what i have learned on this forum the sights are 1902 with the small flip up sight aperature.Also the sling does not have any buckles so that it might be taken off of the gun. The ends are fastened together with a wire type fastener with a pin. you must slide a leather keeper back to remove the pin.It looks to be an original type fastener and not one that somebody has made. Is this an original type sling? Thanks for any info.

Don_B._in_KS.

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

The original sling pattern was brown leather with a button at one end and a claw like that on the later 1907 slings at the other end. The button was of brass and went through the sling at two points maybe three inches apart close to the end. The stock cartouche sounds correct for the serial number.

Hal_Beatty

Post by Hal_Beatty »

Yes, it sounds like the cartouche is correct for the serial number, which to me means that the rear sight was probably changed at some time. I think it would have been originally issued with a Model 1896 or 1892 rear sight, as the 1898 sights weren't installed until after April 1899. Anyway, it wouldn't have been originally issued with a 1902.
Regards,
Hal Beatty