Constabulary Carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Tom Butts
Site Admin

Constabulary Carbine

Post by Tom Butts »

I have what I believe to be a real constabulary carbine. It is the right general configuration, end of barrel turned down for bayonet, Model 1899, serial # 227420, correct stock with faint 1902 cartouche, 1898 carbine rear sight with the corners ground down.
The question is about a tag it has on it. It is a rectangular, brass tag about 1 1/2" by 1/2" wired to the front sling swivel. Stamped on it is:

Fort Ellis
Abington. 1985

and the number "243" hand stamped across the bottom in a different and slightly larger style.

I have been unable to figure out what this means about the gun. There was a Fort Ellis in Montana (I think) but I couldn't find out much about it. Any ideas what this could tell me about this gun?

William R. Mook

Re: Constabulary Carbine

Post by William R. Mook »

The 4980 Model of 1899 Carbines that were purchased by the Insular Government of the Philippines and modified to Constabulary configuration by the US Army at the Manila Ordnance facility were equipped with Model of 1901 sights.
I'm aware that there are published pictures of a so-called "Philippine Constabulary" carbine with a Model of 1898 or 1902 rear sight -- I seriously doubt that it is a constabulary carbine but rather a stateside school gun.
If you need chapter and verse on the procurement and modification of the valid constabulary carbines. Email me and I'll provide you with the info.
Col. Bill Mook

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: Constabulary Carbine

Post by Tom Butts »

Col. Mook,

Thanks for the info. I will e-mail you for the full chapter and verse on procurement and modification of valid constabulary carbines.

So, if this is a school gun, what would the tag mean? Would it have been issued to this Fort Ellis as a school gun?

Thanks,

Tom