1894 Krag (Repost)

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Tom Butts
Site Admin

1894 Krag (Repost)

Post by Tom Butts »

This post was buried under an unrelated topic. I reposted it for the gentleman so that it would get the proper attention. Good luck Fred.

Hi My name is Fred Diehl and I just received a 30-40 Krag from my Father which belonged to his father and I dont have a clue about it. It is stamped U.S. Springfield
date 1894 and SN# 1691 other than that I dont know much if anyone out there can tell me anything about this gun please E mail me at Diehl1788@msn.com
I would like to know the value of this gun. I dont intend on selling it it will be passed down to my son who i hope will pass it on from there. I beleve this gun is in orignal condition including cleaning kit in stock and original belt. I will check this site again for updates or please emai; me if you can help

Martin Wagner

Re: 1894 Krag (Repost)

Post by Martin Wagner »

Sir: Your weapon is not an original Model '92 from one of the comments in your posting. Original '92s had a FLAT buttplate with NO provision for a cleaning kit, hence NO trap and no cleaning kit. What you most likely have is a Model '96 conversion. Just for starters the '92 had a cleaning rod under the barrel, the muzzle was flat, the extractor did not have the 'hold-open' pin and was one piece, etc., etc.

Now, that does not mean that your gun is worthless. Far from it, but not worth the same as an original '96, also you have the family history behind it, which makes it priceless to your family.

Hope this helps but does not discourage you.

MW

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1894 Krag (Repost)

Post by Tom Butts »

Fred,

Like Marty said, your gun is not an original 1892 Krag, but it started life as a '92. It is a very low serial number and, thus, a very old gun. It was produced in 1894. Then, like most of the '92 rifles, it was sent back to the armory and updated to 1896 configuration. It is what is known as a '92-'96.

As far as value, it is very valuable to your family as an heirloom and a piece fo history. I am not an expert, but I have seen '92-'96s priced in the range of $700-$1200 , depending on qulaity. There are many things that will influence it's dollar value. I assume this gun is full length and un-cut. How long is the barrel? What kind of rear sight is on it? (look at the "photo" section on our site) Is the handguard there? Does it have a cartouche on the left side of the stock just behind the sideplate? Any more information like that will help us.

Tom