Norwegian Krag, .22 Gallery? conversion

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Don Benson

Norwegian Krag, .22 Gallery? conversion

Post by Don Benson »

I have recently acquired a Norwegian Krag that has been converted to .22. This was apparently done at some time during the early to mid '50's. The metallic sights have been badly damaged and I would like to replace them, if possible, with the same type or model of sights. Digital photographs will be available in a day or so.
Please advise if anyone knows of a source of metallic sights for these rifles. The rear sight is a relatively (by modern standards) crude micrometer sight and the front is an aperture type mounted on a dovetail base.
Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

Nord

Re: Norwegian Krag, .22 Gallery? conversion

Post by Nord »

Howdy.

I may have some parts for these type of sights, but I need info or pictures to tell for sure.
It was at least 5 or 6 different types and makers of these sights.
And by the way, the .22 conversion of Krags started way back in the early 30's and continued untill the late 50's, and the purpose was not "gallery" shooters, but real target rifles for distances up to 100 and even 200 meters!!!

Regards
Nord

Don Benson

Post by Don Benson »

Thank you for the reply. I will try to insert a few images into the note, but if it doesn't work, I'll try to get the photos to you if I may have your e-mail address.
The rifle is apparently started out as an M/25 as that is stamped on the receiver ring above the serial number. The date(?) 1939 is on the top of the receiver ring and is the subject of one photograph.
The images would not insert or at least I don't know how to get them from my zip disk to this note.
Please send your address and I'll send them along.
Don

Nord

Post by Nord »

OK, my e-mail is: badxdog2000@yahoo.no

Seems like your rifle started out as a civillian M/1925 "Sharpshooter rifle", and it should be marked with a "lion swinging an axe" somewhere on the action, and on the top of the bolt handle.

What kind of sight you have is hard to say, some were fitted with the M/23 diopter (peep sight) while others had M/25 or M/30 dioptersights.
Others could be refitted with civillian target sights of different types and makes.

If it's made in 1939 it should be in the serial number range 1301-1661.

Nord

Don Benson

Post by Don Benson »

The serial number and markings fit the description in the last posting. I requested help on posting the photo's and you may end up getting two sets. There will be one coming by e-mail in a few minutes.
Don

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Don (and Nord ),

Josh (our webmaster) and I combined forces to download and send the photos to Nord. I am pretty sure they should have gotten to him. Let me know if something didn't work.

Tom

Nord

Post by Nord »

Everything went just fine, the pictures got through and I'm 89% sure that I've got a positive identification on the damaged parts.

Only thing that remains is to actually find them here!
Some few hours of digging to do before they surface...

Nord