M'96 carbine stock

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Ned Butts

M'96 carbine stock

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello KCA members and Krag lovers!
I have a M'96 short forend carbine stock that is cartouched 1896 but has no cut out for the sling ring bar. I haven't seen alot of M'96 carbinees, but I have never seen a stock like this. Can anyone give me some input.
Thanks,
Ned

Don_B._in_KS.

Re: M'96 carbine stock

Post by Don_B._in_KS. »

My 1896 carbine has the short stock without sling bar and ring but is not cartouched. Mine is a replacement stock built after the sling bar was discontinued in 1899 though.

Dave Williams

Post by Dave Williams »

Hi Ned,
Per Frank Mallory, in his book "The Krag Rifle Story"on page 78, He states that Model 1896 carbines will be found with Model 1896 carbine stock without inletting for the swivel bar plate. I have a Model 1898 carbine Ser.#121390 that is in the same configuration, but in the bolt handel area is on the 1898 style, I assume these to be a transitional, as the Horse Soldier no longer needed the saddle ring as he was issued a scabbard. This was standardized in 1898. My carbine has a 1898 inspectors cartouche and a "P" and a #46 behind the trigger guard, and has a "96" cabine sight, so i assume it is original. It came from sorthern Arizona in 1970 and is in good condition. Possible used by a Indian Scout out of Fort Huachuca,Az, they were being issued krag carbine in 1897 and 1898. I"m digging through goverment records, but so far have been unsuggestful. I glad to see this fourm up! if any one has imfo on Indian Scout Krags, and would like to share it, let me know. Ned I hope this helps.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hello Don,
Thanks for your input. The thing that has me confused about this is the time frame. As you say Mallory states that " Model 1896 carbines will be found without inletting for the swivel bar plate" but in the same paragraph he also says that they are "replacement stocks produced after 1898". My stock is cartouched 1896 so it would be original equipment at a time when swivel bar plates were standard equipment! So why in the middle of a run of stocks with swivel bar plates was one (or more) made without one? It makes it an intresting piece to have in my small collection!!
Thanks,
Ned