U.S. Military Krags
Wolfsburg

Re: Krag Model 1896 question

Post by Wolfsburg »

I still need to get some pics of the boltImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whig and I want to see some Naked Bolt Pics!

Wolfsburg

Post by Wolfsburg »

Haha! I'm working on it! Was trying to get my original pics posted first!

Wolfsburg

Post by Wolfsburg »

Here we go!ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks 'Wolfsburg' - Your Bolt-Body is the first type of model 1896 Bolt.

The later type of model 1896 Bolt had the gas-escape hole moved farther back on the Bolt-Body.

Joe Poyer's Book reports the second type of model 1896 Bolt was introduced around serial number 36,000.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Thanks for getting the bolt pictures up. I wanted to see if your bolt had more original M1892 parts. ImageImage

Wolfsburg

Post by Wolfsburg »

Ah understood! I will say I didnt expect it to be such a mismatch of different parts but Ive never investigated it too closely! I imagine that doesnt bode terribly well for value! I just knew it was purdy and had a nice bore! Haha!

I also assume there is no SRS hit on the serial number? I noticed in the serial sticky, a great many in this range seemed to have been destroyed.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Actually, very,very few Krags are in their "original" condition, so, value is not affected too much by the parts you have. Condition is of utmost importance if there is no specific military historic value.

You have a nice Krag and should enjoy it for years to come!

Wolfsburg

Post by Wolfsburg »

Ahhh, I gotcha. What would value be on a rifle like this?

Im definitely proud to have it and it certainly scratches my Krag itch! If I ever found a nice 1896 carbine to go with it, that didnt cost an arm and a leg, I might be tempted though! Haha! They seldom fly under the radar though, it seems.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Wolfsburg' - You have a nice honest Krag that may be in the combination of parts it was 'wearing', when it was sold to the public.

I agree with 'Whig'. The nice bore and handsome appearance control the value of this rifle. Any 'arsenal parts recycling' during likely 'rebuilding' is kind of interesting and not really a 'negative'.

Personally, I get tired of people on gun forums 'billing' their latest acquisition as "UNMOLESTED", when any fool can plainly see the item has a history.

You have an interesting Krag. IMHO - A gun-show price would be $800 to $1,000. I am conservative in spending money.
(In my experience, Krags can be slow sellers, unless they are exceptional, rare variations, or priced cheap).

FWIW - You could pick-up a "more correct" model 1896 bolt and striker mechanism for your Krag for about $100. Simply, replacing parts would not really improve value and would lose some 'history'.

Gradually assembling 'correct parts' and keeping the parts that came on your rifle is a 'Win-Win' and helps tell and enhance the history.

p.s. I am glad that your Krag did not find its way to New Cumberland, Pa., for destruction by the Depot Guards!