Question on sights!

U.S. Military Krags
FredC

Re: Question on sights!

Post by FredC »

RomeoJim had a no drill S&K scope mount on his Mauser, seems like a similar no drill mount was mentioned in an email for a Krag. Just checked the S&K site and Krags are not on the list of ex-military rifles. Not sure if they can be special ordered or not. I will check with Jim to see if he did mention a Krag S&K or not.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1519133322/60#60

If a person was interested in fast on target but not necessarily precision shooting a red dot could be used on the no drill rail. They are good for low light hunting, very little weight so there is no strain on the 2 mounting screws.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A 'side-plate' rig that mimicked the Norwegian sniper mount would be a neat thing.
(There certainly are a lot of loose side-plates around, with bad cosmetic blemishes, to serve the purpose).Image

S99VG

Post by S99VG »

Redfield made a Sourdough site that fit the Krag front post. I used to have one. Not ony are they thicker but have a brass insert at the top. It's a square post sight. You might be ablto kake one out of a Sourdough for a 03 - they turn up more often.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Might be easier and less expensive to buy a nice sporterized Krag for around $400 with a scope attached!

There are many fro sale out there and lots of variations to choose from.

mavt

Post by mavt »

Williams has an inexpensive receiver sight model for the Krag that mounts on the right side of the receiver. It is drill and tap but only if you want it to be. I had one on my sporter (see SN 456713 thread) I attached with JB Weld along for with a regular front sight base for 12 yrs.

There are also old EL Rice peep sights out there that mount on the extractor and are less than other options mentioned (see same sporter thread for picture of a Rice sight).

May not be ok in regulated shoots but for casual shooting you will see better than with the issued sight options.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

RomeoJim had a no drill S&K scope mount on his Mauser, seems like a similar no drill mount was mentioned in an email for a Krag. Just checked the S&K site and Krags are not on the list of ex-military rifles.

S&K Krag mount they modified the rear attachment
http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

This is heading a bit off topic I will move to sporters