Unissued - Really?

U.S. Military Krags
Nevinator

Unissued - Really?

Post by Nevinator »

Heres a current listing on Gunbroker. Im simply baffled by many of the claims made by some sellers.

Ive heard the ones about my great grandfather carried this on Omaha Beach but to make a claim that a 120 year old rifle is unissued, how believable is that?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/860372890

Whig

Re: Unissued - Really?

Post by Whig »

Definitely a beautiful condition stock and little wear noticed on the metal.

Better item title would be "Re-blued" instead of not re-built and unissued.

Bore condition would help. Muzzle end shows wear.

Not worth $2250.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice looking Krag, but, probably $800 to $1,000 overpriced.

53 pictures really fail to show texture, feel and exact state of finish of metal.

Bore condition gets no mention??? (Rear-sight is just a variation of model 1902 sight that used altered model 1898 leaf & eye-piece).

IMHO - For that kind of money, at a major Gun Show, you would find a rarer Krag in mighty nice condition and know what you are getting.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

What Whig said!

Baltimoreed

Re: Unissued - Really

Post by Baltimoreed »

Curious that the buttplate is as rough as it is if unissued. This is what my 1896 Krags buttplate looks like. I think those are fingerprints on the left side. Is mine unissued or just an arsenal rework that was not reissued so it didnt get banged up again? ImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

What does unissued mean anyway? Not issued to a soldier, or new in mint condition? Would not issued to a soldier then used and abused by a civilian after distribution through the CMP qualify as unissued? If so there are probably many unissued ones around as most production was done after the last conflict Krags were used in. Does not mean they are in good shape.
What I could see of the bolt it does not look like NOS bolts from Grandpa's.
Any of you have photos of original Krags in museums that are still unused?

Whig

Post by Whig »

"Unissued" is whatever the seller wants to convince unsuspecting, ignorant buyers to think.

Buyer beware. Some people have too much money and mess up true market valuations!