NRA Carbine ???

U.S. Military Krags
Griff557

NRA Carbine ???

Post by Griff557 »

I have a Krag rifle and like a lot of others I think I need another one????? I know carbines are a whole new ball of wax and you better know what your looking at. Ive heard some referred to as NRA Carbines I tried using the search feature but didnt come up with anything. Can someone educate/send me in the right direction

butlersrangers

Re: NRA Carbine ???

Post by butlersrangers »

Try searching DCM carbine.

(My basic understanding):

The Director of Civilian Marksmanship "carbines" were Krag carbines and later 'cut-down' Krag rifles, that were sold to NRA Members in the late 1920's and early 1930's.

These short Krags were more useful and convenient for Hunting purposes than the full length rifle with its 30 inch barrel. (The regular Krag rifle could be purchased by NRA members, through the DCM, for $1.50 at this time period).

Initially perhaps, actual Krag carbines were available.

When carbines ran out, shortened rifles, (with barrels cut to 22"), were put in carbine stocks and 1903 Springfield front-sights were expertly mounted.

When carbine stocks were exhausted, rifle stocks were cut to carbine stock length and the exposed lightening channel was filled at the stock tip.

The real "DCM carbines" were altered at Benicia Arsenal, in California, and shipped to NRA member/purchasers from that facility.

Since this style of carbine was easily replicated by anyone with a 1903 front-sight and some basic tools, a DCM carbine can only be verified with matching DCM paperwork.

Extra expenses were charged for the alteration to "DCM carbine" at Benicia.

Attached are cropped examples of Benicia paperwork.ImageImage

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Thanks....DCM Carbine didnt show results either?? I have the Joe Poyer book the ins and outs of Carbines is confusing/hard to keep track of are there other/better resources to education myself?

Whig

Post by Whig »

Griff- Might help to search just "NRA".

Here's one discussion about a carbine I got marked NRA but we never confirmed anything. Really need a receipt for provenance.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1571172770/12#12

King carp

Post by King carp »

From what I understand the N.R.A. converted full length military rifles into carbines to satisfy the demand for them. Gunsmiths, surplus dealers, and regular Joe's did the same thing. Without an original sales receipt from the N.R.A. a cut down Krag is just that, a converted rifle. I have one that meets all the criteria of a N.R.A. conversion but without the paperwork it is considered a sporterized conversion. The brophy book on Krags gives some of the details of a N.R.A. conversion. I hope this helps out some.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Did you enter [DCM carbine] in the little search box at the top of this page?

That brings up some relevant old threads for me.

Frank Mallory's book, "The Krag Rifle Story", and William Brophy's book, "The Krag Rifle", have content related to the DCM carbines.

Poyer has a brief reference on page 179, under "1905 Sight".

BTW - The NRA did not sell rifles and carbines, or mark them.

The Director of Civilian Marksmanship (a Department of the U.S. Army) managed Civilian Rifle Sales. To qualify for purchase, you had to be an NRA member.

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

For whatever reason the search box doesnt work for me. I tried using DCM Carbine, DCM, NRA, NRA Carbine, before I started the thread they all came up blank??? When I use plain old google it would bring up threads/links to this website and the CMP sight. Thanks for the info provided

Whig

Post by Whig »

Are you a KCA member and signed in?

That might be the issue. I don't know how these dang blog forums work. This one is the only one I post to.

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Are you a KCA member and signed in?

That might be the issue. I don't know how these dang blog forums work. This one is the only one I post to.

Iam registered on the forum but not a paying KCA member. Most days Iam lucky to turn the internet on

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

So the little bit I think I know if theres no paper work on a cut down carbine its a cut down carbine...whats the ballpark value on a good example of a cut down with a clean bore