NRA Carbine ???

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: NRA Carbine ???

Post by Whig »

Depends on some additional factors. A good bore adds value as would a real carbine rear sight.

Authentic carbine rear sights can cost hundreds of dollars. If you don't have one of these, the value would be $300-350.

A really nice stock, a scope or nice rear peep sight might add a little. Cut downs are hard to sell most of the time. They make good shooters and hunting rifles, though.

I think sporterized Krags are an undervalued area of collectible.

Mosin Nagants used to be $99 for a rifle and accoutrements. Now, they are picked a part for value for different details and worth many hundreds.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - There are many Krags that have been "cut-down" from rifle length.
The value of a cut-down, as 'Whig' states, will be tied to the value of the parts, (type, condition and quality of the stock & hand-guard, type of rear-sight, bore condition, and overall appeal of arm).

Most "cut-downs" should fit into the $275 to $400 range. Some may be in a real carbine stock or have a rare rear-sight. The parts, condition, and appeal, will determine the value.

Unfortunately, quite often, the Seller will be uninformed, mistaken, delusional, or a cheat, not knowing or not truthful about the cut-down Krag they possess.
Maybe the owner paid too much for a 'fake' and is trying to recoup a bad investment.
I know I have been seeing misrepresented Krags for 57 years.
I likely have seen an actual "DCM Carbine", but, never a documented one. Who knows? Buy the gun and not the story.

To navigate through the Krag jungle, pay close attention to a Krag's front-sight base and muzzle-crown. These were nicely & uniformly done at Springfield Armory and provide great clues to originality of a rifle and carbine.

A civilian shortened rifle barrel will usually be obvious (even if put on a carbine action).
If a 1905 front-sight was fitted by Benicia, it would have been very well done. Few 'cut-down' barrel front-sights show that quality of workmanship.

Attached: photos showing original Krag rifle and carbine front-sights and a 1905 sight that is a decent job, but not a real DCM carbine.ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Some examples of obvious Krag sight replacements:ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You really need to develop an eye for what is suspect.

More Krag front-sight non-arsenal replacements:ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If the price for a cut-down Krag is good, a bad front-sight can be replaced or improved.

More replacement sights:ImageImageImageImageImage

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Great info/pics thanks! Bare with me a bit if you would as I try to educate myself. Correct me if Iam wrong-my understanding is all real carbines are within a known serial number range? 1899 Carbines are foolproof and arent faked? Carbine sights will have a C on them but they have been faked

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

With guns nothing is "foolproof" or "Always" or "Never".

Known Carbine 'serial number ranges' are often mixed with rifles.

Model 1899 marked Krags are believed to have been built as carbines.
(However, there will occasionally be found a Krag rifle with a model 1899 receiver. I have a model 1899 Krag receiver with a 'cut-down', 22 1/2 inch, barrel on it).

There are some, possibly legitimate "carbines", that are way out of known serial number ranges. (???)

FWIW:

Most model 1896 carbines fall between #24709 & #35792 and #67010 & #79764. (Some model 1896 carbines are marked 1895 or 1896, without the word "model").

Most of the (5,002) model 1898 carbines fall between #117536 & #140195. (A lot of rifles are also in this number range). Some 1898 carbine receivers were over-stamped 1899.

Remember - Many bogus Krag "Carbines" have been 'manufactured' outside of Springfield Armory during the last 120 years.

All this said, I don't think it's that hard to detect a legitimate carbine.

If you are just looking for a nice convenient 'shooter', an obvious 'cut-down' rifle, in good condition, may be just what you seek and should not cost too much.

If you seek an original carbine, a lot more scrutiny and money is needed.

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Thanks!!! Lots to learn I guess