Krag Serial# 438271 *corrected # *

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: Krag Serial# 488271

Post by Whig »

Evidently he didn't feel they were questionable, just others.

We should always have a high degree of suspicion when things are in the "questionable" realm.

I just like to go with the preponderance of evidence and reasoning. I am frequently wrong.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Having spent a fair amount of time on family genealogy (with lots of Scottish and French-Canadian ancestors) and worked for 30 years for my county, I accept clerical errors in numbers, dates, and spelling as a norm (and function around it).

I have the WW2 "bring back" paper on an Uncle's captured German pistol. If I didn't know the "provenance" of the paper and pistol, the corrected errors would make the form look totally bogus. (Not a lot of good typists or paper in the European Theater of Operations, as the War was winding down)!

Such is Life.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

What I found strange was that with all his knowledge (quantities, annual production, royalties paid, etc., ad nauseum) of Krags - he could still find ANY reason to think they were correct. And, with all of the guns he'd handled, he could NOT have been ignorant of, or blind to, the 3/8 issue. His bottom line was - "that's what the record shows, so that's what I'm going to list!" Reminds one of David Farragut.

1911Ron

Re: Krag Serial# 438271 *corrected # *

Post by 1911Ron »

I took a different picture and it looks more like a 3 with the tips of the 3 smooshed that could be confused with an 8. I corrected the title to reflect the change, I tried to upload a picture but either Imager or my internet didn't like the upload.

Whig

Re: Krag Serial# 438271 *corrected # *

Post by Whig »

Good job!

Thanks for the posting of your finding.

Enjoy your great Krag and keep us posted if you shoot it.