My first Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Mike4MSU

My first Krag

Post by Mike4MSU »

I just pulled the trigger on an 1899 Krag Carbine. Im pretty happy with it overall. Theres a few character marks, but the bore is bright and the landings are strong. The patina seems to be consistent overall with the possible exception of the front hand guard. While I believe the stock was always a carbine stock and not a cut down, it is missing proof and cartouche marks. It also has a rear sling swivel that looks to be added and an upper band with a sling swivel. Im wondering if this was possibly an engineers carbine. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MikeImageImageImageImageImage

FredC

Re: My first Krag

Post by FredC »

Welcome to the forum. They tell us often that Krags are addictive here.
Your carbine certainly looks nice, others will be able to tell you a lot of details. A closer look at the front sight will enable you to learn a lot more.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

A few moreImageImageImage

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

FredC, thanks for the warm welcome. Heres a pic of the front sight. Image

Whig

Post by Whig »

Boy, that Krag Carbine sure looks clean and in great shape! Can you give a close up of the receiver with its serial number? That will give us more to go on.

You do have a nice original 1901 carbine rear sight. The hump in front of the sight on the hand guard protects the sight when shoved into a scabbard used when on a horse and slinging the Krag. The hand guard does look to be a slightly lighter color than the stock but that's just fine.

Great to hear that the bore is in good condition. It should be a great shooter if you choose to do so. Most of us love to reload and shoot our Krag rifles and carbines.

The sling swivels are add-ons but I don't know much about the Engineer Krags. Someone else will inform us about those.

Congratulations with your new purchase and welcome to the KCA.! This is the best place to learn about your new Krag obsession.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Your front sight looks correct for an original carbine, the wear on it looks like it made many trips in and out of the scabbard. So that matches expectations. Screw drivers slots shown are all nice and clean, not damaged by cheap screw drivers. It just keeps looking better as you post more photos.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi Mike4MSU,

Welcome to the KCA Forum!

You have a very nice carbine!

A nice clear picture of the serial number may help us determine more information about your carbine.

Have you measured the barrel length?... Just stick a rod down the barrel to the bolt face (closed bolt) and mark the rod at the muzzle opening. Measurement from the bolt face to the muzzle should be 22 inches.

Yours appears to be a 1899 carbine replacement stock.

Replacement stocks were commonly installed with no added cartouches or P proof marks, however they usually will include numbers next to the trigger guard.

IMHO: Some folks would say that carbine stocks should have no band or stock swivels. I am of the opinion that certain documentation had allowed for the installment of swivels for a short time period. I have seen too many carbines with swivels to believe that it is random occurrence. I'm talking about the type of swivels that have been inletted and installed on the rear of stock such as yours. I believe that kind of inletting would be performed by the armory who manufactured the stock. Most folks like me would install a single screw type swivel and call it good.

You may want to check the front sight and see if it has a "C" stamp indicating it to be a carbine sight.

The rear sight is a nice 1901 carbine sight and has been going for $250-$350 at certain auction sites. $500+ is the norm at gun parts web sites.

The stock appears to have been sanded (post install) but that's about par for the course.

The handguard may be a reproduction?

All in all a very nice clean carbine.

Happy shooting!

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Great info, thank you all. It might have been a replacement stock as you can see a number 45 by the trigger guard. The barrel is indeed 22 and Ive attached photos of both the S/N and front sight. There is a marking on the blade, but I cant tell if its a c.

MikeImageImage

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Seems like your carbine started life in Jun 1900

No hits in the "Serial Numbers of Known U.S. Krags" located in the back of Mallory's book "The Krag Rifle Story." However, it is in the company of other listed carbines!

Looks like you have a legit carbine front sight!

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Thanks for the born on date and checking the list of known Krags. One remaining question is that there are two impressions or punch marks visible behind the trigger guard. They are clearly visible in a previously posted photo. Any idea as to what may have caused it? Thank you again, this is all great information.

Mike