My first krag rifle

U.S. Military Krags
King carp

My first krag rifle

Post by King carp »

Here is my first krag rifle. I traded for it. I think it is a stock military version. I have a question about the cleaning rod in the buttstock. It seems too short. How was it used? So far I really like it and will trade for the other krag he has.
Thanks. KCImage

psteinmayer

Re: My first krag rifle

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy King Carp. Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags! Be careful... they are highly addictive!

From what I can see, it looks like a nice Krag rifle. Some closer pictures of the front sight, rear sight and receiver will bring some good feedback.

Now, the cleaning rod - usually, two or more soldiers would combine their rods to make a rod of sufficient length. Did you find the oiler in the butt trap too? A few cleaning patches after the rods and oiler are in place will keep them from rattling around when the trap is closed.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Hello: I am having trouble loading up the photos. I will talk to a friend of mine who should be able to figure it out.
Thanks, KC

King carp

Post by King carp »

That makes perfect sense about the cleaning rod
. Thanks, I will put a couple cleaning patches in there too.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Looks like a great Krag. Not certain about that front sight but when you can post some pictures, we'll see it better.

Looks like you have a great sling for the Krag also. Can you tell how the bore looks?

It'll be extra nice to get that second Krag also. Can't wait to see that one to see what your starter collection will look like.

Welcome to Krag-Land!

King carp

Post by King carp »

Sorry I don't know what I just did. I am an dumb head who should not have a smart phone.

Playapat

Post by Playapat »

It looks like the brass sight protector over the front sight. Is that what I see, King Carp?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It appears you have a nice looking Krag. Is there a hooded front sight protector on it?

It appears you have an original Krag sling. Those are becoming quite valuable.
FWIW - The sling is on backwards. The 'claw' should be near the barrel-band swivel. The 'button-end' should be attached to the butt-swivel.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Yes. The photo I did get to post has a brass sight protector. The bore is clean with no rust or pits. When I can I will slug it to get the size. Thanks for your patience. I am new to a lot of the current technology.Image

King carp

Post by King carp »

Another pic.Image