More on this soon!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: More on this soon!

Post by butlersrangers »

Paul Breakey bought this altered Magazine Lee-Enfield at auction.

It was mistakenly 'billed', as being equipped, "for attachment to an Artillery Piece". (Paul believed this until I showed him his rifle's actual application).

Paul said: "The gun auction also featured a similarly equipped Turkish Mauser".

The contrivance could be fitted to most service rifles, including the Krag and 1903 Springfield.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Parashooter and Local Boy are very smart young men.

Thank you Parashooter for including the link to rifleman.org.uk. If that is new resource to a KCA member, there is some really good stuff on that site!

About four years ago, a KCA member had a Krag in .22 caliber. The cocking-piece on his Krag was peculiar and led to a lot of conjecture.

It was eventually realized to be a part of the cable-linkage used on the 'Boston' version of the Cummings Sub-Target Gun Machine.

(The British version, made by Wilkinson Sword Ltd., under license, used an electric-switch, battery and wires, that controlled a solenoid).

Mr. Breakey's rifle is a Magazine Lee-Enfield and retains the bronze fixture that anchored it to a (Wilkinson style) Sub-Target Rifle Machine. The extra holes in the wood stock likely were anchor points for an electric switch.

I appreciate Paul Breakey sharing knowledge and providing photos for the KCA Forum of his rifle and this very rare fixture.

(p.s. Paul's magazine has a strange 'keyhole' opening on the right side. This is likely for the Hiscock-Parker .22 caliber magazine mechanism and probably not correct for this .303 caliber rig).

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

For more background, in a familiar place, see http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1424280772

How soon we forget, eh?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I have three beliefs regarding the Cummings Sub-Target Gun Machine:

1. No one is now alive, who used and practiced on one.

2. Somewhere in the world, (in a closet, basement, attic, or obscure corner of a military base, naval-yard, retired armory/arsenal, military academy, or New York - Public School), there is a S.T.G.M., in pieces or whole. Likely, no one there has a clue as to what it is or its original function.

3. If enough gun enthusiasts are aware, one day it will be found!

At the present, I am just happy to know that at least one fixture equipped rifle survives and what the fixture looks like in detail.

Attached:

Photos of Cummings 1910 advertisement and Wilkinson catalog.

Machine sketches with rifle 'fixture' and its location marked. (Note - First sketch shows early cable arrangement, later system used linkage). Last sketch shows Wilkinson battery powered solenoid and wire system.

ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I cringe when I envision all the adjustments that had to be made on this device.

Its price of around $500 (with you supplying the rifle and the rifle being 'ruined' by modifications), in the early 1900's, is sobering.

Cheaper systems, other methods, and .22 caliber training rifles on indoor ranges, likely forced the Sub-Target Rifle Machine's demise.ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Further Observations:

Seeing the hollow underside of the tin-plated/bronze fixture, attached to P. Breakey's Magazine Lee- Enfield rifle, is enlightening.

It shows how the fixture was quickly attached and released from its 'carrier' on the STRM.

The 'mounting points', that I have circled in the attached photo are for mounting the 'Head', which contains the sub-target holder, marking needle, and elaborate universal-joints and rod, that move in unison with the rifle, as it is aimed at a second distant target.

There are three pairs of mounting points: Top - for offhand, Middle - for kneeling & sitting (in use in photo), and Bottom - for prone.

(p.s. - The rifle, when locked into place on the 'skeletonized carrier' of the STRM, was not weightless.
The counter-balance 'globe' was to offset any added weight of the fixture and carrier apparatus. The operator only had to deal with the actual weight of the rifle).ImageImageImage