Redfield no-drill sight

U.S. Military Krags
Griff557

Redfield no-drill sight

Post by Griff557 »

Whats a fair price on a Redfield 70k no drill sight with the long screw? Is there a trick to removing the cut-off lever? Whats the general consensus on them yay or nay

Rcat7147

Re: Redfield no-drill sight

Post by Rcat7147 »

Theres one on eBay right now for $195. I think thats high but itll probably sell. Id look for one at more like $150.

To remove the cutoff, use a small thin blades screwdriver to depress the ball detent while pulling out. No big trick at all.

King carp

Post by King carp »

I have one on my krag sporter. I like it. It locks on place well. It is important to have the correct screw. It is longer than the regular one. They are hard to find.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I like the Redfield #102-K (no-drill) sight. On this model, the elevation and windage is locked with 'coin-slotted' screws.

The elevation-staff can easily be raised to allow quick bolt removal. A set-screw allows easy return to sighted-in elevation setting.

IMHO - The 70-K Redfield, with its 'micrometer' adjustments, is a hassle for bolt-removal, when cleaning rifle. There is no quick-release.

Easiest approach is to simply take complete sight off of receiver, rather than, tediously 'unscrew' entire range of elevation thread.

FWIW - A sight mounting screw for the Redfield sights can be made by altering a Krag or 1903 Springfield sling-swivel screw.

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

Theres one on eBay right now for $195. I think thats high but itll probably sell. Id look for one at more like $150.

To remove the cutoff, use a small thin blades screwdriver to depress the ball detent while pulling out. No big trick at all.

Does the ball detent come out when the cut off is removed? From what Ive read you have to make a cut off selector shaft to replace the selector itself so rounds will feed correctly ?

Griff557

Post by Griff557 »

I like the Redfield #102-K (no-drill) sight. On this model, the elevation and windage is locked with 'coin-slotted' screws.

The elevation-staff can easily be raised to allow quick bolt removal. A set-screw allows easy return to sighted-in elevation setting.

IMHO - The 70-K Redfield, with its 'micrometer' adjustments, is a hassle for bolt-removal, when cleaning rifle. There is no quick-release. Easiest approach is to simply take sight off of receiver.

FWIW - A sight mounting screw for the Redfield sights can be made by altering a Krag or 1903 Springfield sling-swivel screw.

Ive seen a couple of these for sale they seem to be quite a bit cheaper but I would think the slotted screws would be a PIA when you wanted to adjust the sight?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - A lot of shooters over-do the sight adjustment thing.

They are correcting all the time for their last shot (possibly a flyer), instead of shooting groups, to see if sight adjustment is merited.

If you are hunting, you shouldn't be playing with your sights.

If you are shooting at the range, you can record the setting for a given distance, and later return to that setting, if changing distances.

BTW - The cut-off lever, detent-pin, and spring, remain together as a unit. Normally, this sub-assembly is 'staked' together and should not be taken apart.

Attachments: Cut-Off removal, Williams commentary on Redfield 70-K, and how to improvise a Redfield mounting-screw.ImageImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Either $195 is way too much, or I've been letting them go for way too little! Peeps closer to the eye were a help for me, for awhile. But the right eye is now far enough gone that I need a scope, one adjusted for my glasses.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . To remove the cutoff, use a small thin blades screwdriver to depress the ball detent while pulling out.. .
I'll buy "detent" but not "ball" for what the ol' manual calls "spring spindle". "Detent-pin" seems a useful descriptive term for modern folk.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

what I do is I buy redfield model 70 parts and sights that are for sale on ebay cheep ..like there is a 70 for 55 dollars and then I always look for bargains like sometimes they are all bent up because they got dropped and if you look at just redfield sight sometimes you and find them cheep because they do not know there krag sights well good luck ...ImageImageImage