Krag 1899 Carbine - Serial Number 849318

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: Krag 1899 Carbine - Serial Number 849318

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I do NOT believe that is an original GI Krag stock! Too many little "no-fit-rights". That IS a Krag butt-plate, 1903's have much larger trap covers.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick Hosmer is correct on the butt-plate origin.

I guess the butt-plate is still full-size, so, that would make the stock most suspect.

A view of the interior wood inletting should tell all.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I agree with Dick and am suspect of the originality of this stock. I would be interested in seeing the inside contours of the stock with the barrel and receiver removed. It sure looks original but these small problems should not be present. I can't think the barrel band and the butt plate are both incorrect. I haven't seen any Krag walnut stock swell up and not allow a band to seat properly. Usually a bad fit is from damage done to the band or wood or dirt and grime build up.

It could happen that multiple pieces are incorrect but we need to go with the preponderance of the evidence first.

The hand guard definitely has the correct grain wear and patina of a 100+ year old Krag hand guard. It is definitely different than the stock. The grain pattern where the bottom of the stock at the butt plate looks odd. I just question whether this stock came from Springfield Armory.

Can you take pictures of the inside of the stock for us? Also remove the butt plate and take a shot of the holes cut out under the plate. Thanks. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Somethings a little strange, though.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Are there three holes drilled in the butt trap for the cleaning rods?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

Hi all. Thanks so much for the eagerness to help out!

As Dick stated, this is indeed a Krag buttplate...it came off a chopped down rifle stock.

BR, thanks for the tips on barrel band fitting. Well within my wheelhouse and I can easily get that straightened out.

Culpeper, there are three holes drilled in the trap for cleaning rods.

Finally, all, here are a bunch more pics of the stock. And apparently my Colt 1903 snuck in there too 8-)

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

Couple more:
ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Wow, that's a head-scratcher!

The 'machine cuts' in the wood, for the action, barrel, and lightening-channels, all look correct to me. (I am directly comparing them to two original stocks).
The 'head of the hinge-bar' area appears to have has been 'whittled on' a bit.

The wood does not appear to be black walnut. It could be Italian walnut.

The "circled P" proof looks pretty crisp and closer to the rear of the trigger-guard than on my stocks.
(Are there any tiny inspector initials or numbers, right behind the trigger-guard)?

I'm stumped. The inside looks good.

The oversize butt-area is very suspect??? An uncompleted and discarded stock would not be likely to have a circle proof?

(I guess we need to see pictures of the butt-plate area holes).

FWIW - In my 'junk box', I have a couple of Krag butt-plates that were reduced in size on 'sportered Krags'. That is not all that obvious, until I compare them with a normal size one. (I'm grasping at straws, here).

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

I will get some pics of that this evening.
There are two holes drilled in, one with the three holes for the cleaning rod.

Who knew this would be such a mystery carbine!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I don't know. I see a yellowish hue to the stock. Is it Italian walnut maybe?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

Heres a pic under the buttplate showing the three holes.

Ive also attached one showing the bore. Its pretty dark but has nice sharp rifling. Not bad!

ImageImage