Krag 1899 Carbine - Serial Number 849318

U.S. Military Krags
Local Boy

Re: Krag 1899 Carbine - Serial Number 849318

Post by Local Boy »

LOL

Noted and corrected!

Actually, I have been looking at Trapdoors lately...I have an eye on one (or 2 or 3 or 4...) at an auction site. Also up for auction are some beautiful Officer Rifle trapdoors.

BTW: 1903 is kind of a Mauser anyway...isn't it? ;D

OH! OH!...Going to get slammed for that one by the 1903 cult worshipers!

Addendum: Looked at the barrel once again (bottom) and I'll be...sure looks like a replacement barrel! I compared it with my other 1896 (top). Rear sight holes are where they should be and someone went to great lengths to mount a Krag like front sight. Still shoots well...Hitting 8 1/2 inch paper plates at a 100 yds...er most of the time.

Maybe Rcat7147's carbine has a replacement barrel as well?ImageImage

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

Conclusion:
That is not a shim of wood. It appears to be an area where the previous owner was starting to do some inletting to correct the issue weve been talking about.
The mystery lives on.

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

And finally an update!

I found another 1899 for this stock to go in. This one with the correct carbine sight.

The band and buttplate issues are now fixed as well. Had to take off a fair bit of wood for that buttplate.

The bore on this one is excellent.

Only issue...the handguard from the old one doesn't fit this "new" sight. What should I be looking for?

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

Couple more:
ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Rcat' - Nice job of fitting the barrel-band properly. It looks good.

I'm still scratching my head on why the butt-plate tang ended up so deep into the 'heel' of the stock?

IMHO - You have two correct choices on hand-guards.

When first produced, your model 1899 carbine likely had the same model 1901 (sight) hand-guard, as the rifles.

Later, the carbine hand-guard for the 1901 sight incorporating a protective 'hump' came into use.

FWIW - Normally, the "rifle" version is a lot easier to find than the 'hump' version, (and cheaper).ImageImage

Rcat7147

Post by Rcat7147 »

Got it. Thanks, Chuck!

This one will be pretty strange, financially.
The barreled action that now sits in this stock came in a sporter stock but was otherwise untouched (well, the sight blade was remade in brass).

So the old action with incorrect sight was put into that sporter stock and is up for sale.

Once that one sells, I should be at about net zero for this stock.
When I eventually track down a handguard, I think I'll be into this carbine for about $450. This action in the sporter stock came to me cheaper than the drilled action in the carbine stock.

Phew! I think I'm confusing myself!
Suffice it to say, I'm happy with the deal I cobbled together here. I would love to have a less enigmatic stock but other than that, no complaints.

Thanks for the help!

Whig

Post by Whig »

You've done a great job in fixing up your Krag carbine and you've given life back to a great Krag carbine that had been lost for untold years. We always like to see that.

So many Krag rifles and carbines are being bought by destroyers like bach1 on ebay and Gun Broker and sold for parts that we need to be diligent in restoring those Krags that we can back to as original as possible. I cringe every time I look at the long list of newly available Krag parts on ebay from stripped Krags. It's hard to imagine how many good original Krags are being lost to this kind of profit seeker. I just hope that many of those parts go back to restoring damaged Krags like you have done.

Keep up the good work and good luck building on your collection!