Question on 1902 sight

U.S. Military Krags
King carp

Question on 1902 sight

Post by King carp »

Hello to the forum: Over the weekend I purchased a box lot of Krag parts. There were a bunch of sights included. My question is about the middle sight in the photo. I think it has an 1898 sight base. Was this an issue item? Or was it something someone made up? Its base height is in between a carbine and rifle sight. I guess it would work with a different front sight. Any help is appreciated. KcImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Question on 1902 sight

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - The middle sight is an 1898 rifle base with a 1903 "Rod Bayonet" leaf. (The leaf 'range lines' stop at the number, instead of carrying through the number, and there are no 25 yard hash marks).

I do not believe the Ordnance Department ever used or approved such a combination. The 1898 bases, rifle and carbine, did not match the trajectory of any ammo after the 2,200 fps Krag ammo was condemned.

The 1898 bases and springs were likely sold off as surplus or scrap.

The 1898 'Tops', with re-shaped eye-piece and 'serrated' leaf, were officially used to make a variation of the 1902 sight.

There is the whole 'gray area' of dealers, like Bannerman's and Stokes Kirk, selling 'Parts Guns'.
Also, there were likely odd 'fix ups', done during WW1 on Krags used as U.S. Training Camp rifles.

Until recently, "Grandpa's" gun-parts sold a model 1898/1902 or 03 hybrid sight, (Grandpa's Special), put together by Joe DeChristopher. They were intended for shooting, but, acknowledged 'not historically correct'.

Grandpa's Gun Parts still has the 'rod-bayonet leaf' available. (I'll go with their ID).

(p.s. You should get together with Localboy. IIRC, between the two of you, there are parts for a complete 1898 carbine sight).Image