Krag Finds in Gun Show Today

U.S. Military Krags
Knute1

Re: Krag Finds in Gun Show Today

Post by Knute1 »

The biggest change I have seen is due to being an Illinois resident. I grew up in Wisconsin and only live 22 miles from the border. So I have gone to many gun shows in Wisconsin, not that I buy a lot. But now I am seeing signs at tables that say "Will Not Sell to Illinois Residents" due to the extra fuss Illinois requires for transactions. They never did like FIBs up there anyhow.

As far as downsizing my small collection...well, I have 5 sons and 2 grandsons (so far).

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I usually attend the Michigan Antique Arms Collectors show and always visit my good friends Chuck and Rich. I agree... attendance is definitely down, and not many younger people there. I'll see something I want to look at and get barked at with "Don't Touch That!" Most of the Krags and Trapdoors I see are over priced. I wish I had more loose change lying around... I'd walk out with a Krag or two.

I'd love to be able to purchase one of Dick's collection when he starts paring it down... but with my current financial situation... that will have to remain a dream!

I will, however, inherit my dad's 1873 carbine and Bannerman built Trapdoor rifle once dad's gone (hopefully no time soon). Otherwise, I'll just keep playing the lottery and wishing/dreaming ;)

Whig

Post by Whig »

Paul, my dad died 2 years ago and left me a few hand guns and a beautiful No. 5 Mark 1 Jungle Carbine that he bought when I was a little kid at a hardware store. I still have his receipt where he paid $17.50 for the carbine, a military case, two magazines, a bayonet and some .303 military ammo. Quite a haul for $17.50!

The rifle is in great condition and shoots wonderfully. Kicks like a bear with that hard rubber butt pad but I put a recoil reducing pad on for my shoulder.

Having that rifle of his is indeed priceless. Ones I buy are nice but his is special and I'm glad to have it.

So, I'm sure you'll treasure your dad's rifles when they eventually come your way.

My kids aren't into mil surp firearm collecting at this time but they will all get some of my collection. That includes my daughter.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whig - FWIW: Some 'Jungle Carbine' bayonets are quite rare and valuable.

How about posting some pictures of your Dad's carbine and bayonet under 'other arms'?

Whig

Post by Whig »

I didn't know that. I don't have much experience with bayonets. Only a little about Krag bayonets.

When I get a chance, I will do that.

Thanks, Paul.

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Then again, every once in awhile you do find something nice. I still need to take this one down and absolutely confirm everything is legit...

img

img

img

img

img

...but I got it for quite a lot less than this one (admittedly a bit nicer specimen): https://www.gunbroker.com/item/832954368

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

I am here to confirm that the same gunshow phenomenon is happening from sea to shining sea. Attendance is down, black rifles and prices are up. I am well acquainted with all three gun collectors under 40 here in Maine who's interests include WWII and earlier and they are great guys.

Whig

Post by Whig »

You've got THAT many milsurp collectors under 40 in your area?

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Whig - FWIW: Some 'Jungle Carbine' bayonets are quite rare and valuable.

How about posting some pictures of your Dad's carbine and bayonet under 'other arms'?

My thoughts as well, RE: bayonet and posting of pics.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Whig

Post by Whig »

Jungle carbine bayonet pictures uploaded on "other" post. Thanks.