Front Sights - coincidence?

U.S. Military Krags
olderthansome

Front Sights - coincidence?

Post by olderthansome »

Was catching up on some organization this morning and noticed that I have acquired a conundrum. I seem to have the same sight deviations on two pieces. One a rifle, one a carbine and both made in 1895. I have had the rifle for 20 plus years and have just added the carbine recently. Is this just a coincidence or is there some other gremlin at work? I have seen blades added of various materials, but it seemed strange these two would also have the same pins..ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Front Sights - coincidence?

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe coins & nails? They look 'home made', to me.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Did they come from the same vicinity? Almost looks like the hole was enlarged. One of the pins looks like it was peened. One view I think I see and ID chamfer without bluing makes me think the hole was enlarged.
If they came from the same area, maybe the same hobbyist/bubba did both? Maybe there was a magazine article 2 individuals copied.

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

My first thought when I cleaned the carbine recently was "coin silver" and the pin and blade were the same color before and after the process. The tarnish wasn't what I might have expected from silver coins and there was no trace of coin features. The edges and corners of the carbine are a little crisper than the rifle and, if a nail, I would have thought a steel nail would rust.

The rifle came from Kentucky 23 years ago and the carbine from Oklahoma a few months ago. I think I'll stop over thinking things and just chalk it up to coincidence. It just seemed odd that the serial numbers were only 10M apart. I suppose Bubba could have moved in 23 years, he got some skills, too.

Thanks for the insights.

King carp

Post by King carp »

I think it could be possible that the original owners of these rifles both read the same 1935? issue of popular mechanics article on "improving" there rifles sights. Those old magazines were full of these kinds of ideas. Just a thought.
Kc

King carp

Post by King carp »

Sorry for repeating the above explantion.