New Database for US Military 1892 / 1894 Krags

U.S. Military Krags
Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: New Database for US Military 1892 / 1894 Krags

Post by Tom Butts »

I have started a spreadsheet for Observed Serial numbers. It is a sticky at the top of this section. Take a look. It will probably be tweaked a little bit in the next few days, but I think it is a good start.

I know this whole thing started as Serial Numbers of 1892s, but I think we might not want to limit it. It might be good to list all the serial numbers of any Krags that we see.

The list is in serial number order, so the 1892s will all be together.

Best,
Tom

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

How will you address receivers marked only "1895" or "1896"? Are they going to be considered "Models" or "Variants", like Flayderman, or something else? I find that Mallory's serial number lists apparently ignore the 1895 date on many carbines and lists them only as "M96C". For me, that could be a problem in evaluating individual pieces and maybe even for verifying historical information.

I wish there was a better way to deal with the information. I think spreadsheets are inherently limiting if trying to find significant deviations from a norm. A true database may be better as it will, I think, support a search on almost any term or phrase and allow additional information to be added or changed to an item, but the size requirements of the server and software are enormous. Nevertheless, you've done some work which is a lot more that I have done and the beginnings are hopeful. Thank you for your efforts, truly!

cquickel

Post by cquickel »

Thats Great.
Curt Quickel

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

So, I can mess up a w.. dr... If Tom Butts can modify the entry for S/N 21015 for consistency sake. Under MODEL it should be "1892R". Add "92/96 configuration" under CONDITION. A couple of my fields are offset to the right. Thanks

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Let's see now. I have rifles with 1894, 1895, 1896, Model 1896, and Model 1898 but not 1892. I need one of those for the collection.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

How will you address receivers marked only "1895" or "1896"? Are they going to be considered "Models" or "Variants", like Flayderman, or something else? I find that Mallory's serial number lists apparently ignore the 1895 date on many carbines and lists them only as "M96C". For me, that could be a problem in evaluating individual pieces and maybe even for verifying historical information.

I wish there was a better way to deal with the information. I think spreadsheets are inherently limiting if trying to find significant deviations from a norm. A true database may be better as it will, I think, support a search on almost any term or phrase and allow additional information to be added or changed to an item, but the size requirements of the server and software are enormous. Nevertheless, you've done some work which is a lot more that I have done and the beginnings are hopeful. Thank you for your efforts, truly!

I don't think entering dates will be a problem. There are only six possibilities: 1894, 1895, 1896, M1896, M1898, M1899. The 1898/99 overstrikes are SO scarce that they could be handled under "Notes".

Yes, a full-blown relational database would be the best ultimate format, but that is a LOT of work. IIRC, beginning with entering data into a carefully-organized spreadsheet should not be a waste of time as I believe it could later be ported into a database if that were later deemed essential.