Intro and evaluation of 1899 carbine

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Intro and evaluation of 1899 carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - I don't see any gun pictures when I 'click' on your imagur links.

pickax

Post by pickax »

OK looks like they needed to verify my email address to make the links hot. Imgur used to be easy, but looks more like they are transforming to social media. >:(
Thanks for bearing with me, as I have no photo editing software on this PC. wish I still had windows XP !

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I still use Microsoft Office 10 to edit pictures.

pickax

Post by pickax »

Yes, office suite was standard on XP back in the day, but a $300 add on to my version 8.1 which I don't need in retirement
My daughter is an attorney, and encourages me to go apple products. A new learning curve.
Do you see the links now?

Whig

Post by Whig »

I have used Apple computers exclusively since 1982! Never regretted it. Amazing security and never been hacked or gotten viruses.

Can happen but I've never had any problems.

And pictures and graphics are extremely easy.

Good luck.

pickax

Post by pickax »

Thanks whig, I hear you.
But can you see my pics? If so I will link anything needed in large format. This is getting frustrating to get a conversation on the carbine started.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Mr. Pickax.

Thanks for all of your work on the pictures. Honestly, they are still lacking in focus and detail but I think I can give an early summary of what you have acquired from what I see. It does get frustrating trying to get this done when you haven't fooled with it before but we try to have fun here, help each other out and learn as much along the way as we can.

I think you have an M1899 Krag carbine with serial number 230137 made in or around 1899. I believe the cartouche correctly shows JSA 1899, JSA standing for Joseph Sumner Adams, the assistant foreman (storekeeper) of Springfield Armory at the time that this carbine was accepted into military hands in 1899. The front sight (blurry) looks original, the rear sight is a correct carbine rear sight, M1896 sight, that would have been used on some 1899 carbines, the bolt looks fine and the overall stock looks fine, again from what I see.

Your rifle and parts all seem to have a lot of honest wear and damage which is understandable for a well used 120 year old firearm. It could be cleaned up some but that's not necessary. If you are familiar enough with firearms, check the bolt, bore and receiver out to see if it looks shoot-worthy and get some 30-40 Krag ammo and try it out. Many of these old war horses are quite good shooters and fun to reload for, if you have the set up.

More comments should follow from others. We all try to give an accurate account of what we see and sometimes correct one another. If you get a good Krag reference or two, you can learn a lot more about this fine carbine and probably get the fever and want more!

Enjoy!
Last edited by Whig on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I can see your pictures with my 'tablet', but, not with my desktop computer.

Nice model 1899 carbine in an interesting and credible configuration.

Model 1899 Krag carbine, #236137, (if I am reading the number correctly), would have been assembled around November, 1899.

#230137 would be from around September, 1899.

BTW - "J.S.A." is Joseph Sumner Adams, assistant-foreman - Assembly Room at Springfield Armory.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Sorry- always get Joseph and John mixed up. I should just stick with "J"!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Hey, William Brophy in his book, "The Krag Rifle", reported the cartouche as "J.L.A." A mistake that gets repeated often, especially, on gun auction sites!

It took a lot of effort to discover Mr. J. S. Adams entire name. He rarely used "Joseph".

(Lived at #99 Bay Street, Springfield, Mass. - 1900 U.S. Census - 'Forman Armory').ImageImage