Intro and evaluation of 1899 carbine

U.S. Military Krags
pickax

Re: Intro and evaluation of 1899 carbine

Post by pickax »

Thanks very much for the evaluation guys. And putting up with the poor pics.
Looking at the serial with magnifying glass in good light, it appears to be a 0 instead of 6. Good to know the born on date, thank you.
I also thought Joseph was John too. Much more reading and studying to do for sure.
I would like to de stock it, check for corrosion under the wood with a good clean, re oil, and grease the action and bolt.
The wood has a very dark patina from oiling and handling for many years. I don't want to ruin that, but wonder if a soft cloth rub down with mineral spirits would remove some of the black without harm overall. Has anyone tried this? Or would I do more harm than good.
Can't wait to fire it, up at camp in Maine now, my brother is bringing a box each of 180 and 200 gr. from Cabellas next week!

Whig

Post by Whig »

A lot of people use mineral spirits to clean layers of crud and gunk off a wood stock without problems. Go easy because I don't like to remove too much of the often quite beautiful and historic patina. I always give all of my Krag stocks a good rubbing and rejuvenation with Howard's Feed and Wax which has beeswax in it. Makes them look really nice without stripping anything but some surface dirt off. Howard's can be found at many antique stores and a bottle goes a long way. Can be used safely for many types of antiques.

It is quite satisfying to dis-assemble, clean and re-assemble a nice Krag. You learn a lot and enjoy working with the wonderful piece of history you are the proud (temporary) owner of.

Also, in dis-assembling a Krag, I sometimes use a small wood block to hammer off a stuck piece like a barrel band or the trigger guard. Just tap the wood with a hammer against the stuck piece and it should safely break loose. I put a longer piece of wood through the chamber against the inside of the left side plate to knock it out after removing the one screw. This gets it loose safely, after you have removed the stock. No metal on metal!

Let us know how it shoots!

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

clean with lemon oil an a soft rag. Not lemon oil soap, lemon oil.

pickax

Post by pickax »

Thanks for the tips on the stock guys, will pick up lemon oil and Howards next trip in.

Mark, I remember digging bloodworms over your way as a young teen.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

Thanks for the tips on the stock guys, will pick up lemon oil and Howards next trip in.

Mark, I remember digging bloodworms over your way as a young teen.

Formerly a Lincoln County Native?

pickax

Post by pickax »

Nope, Kennebec, Winthrop. We didn't have a drivers license then, and a criminal brother in law of my neighbor buddy took us to Damariscotta promising big money every tide. "snatch those nickels!" he would say. Ya right! Good childhood memories though.
I'm on northern Moosehead lake now off the grid. Got a Hughes net dish to keep in touch. Time for a trip to Bangor for a new wood splitter. Old one is done.
Carbine is stripped, no pitting under the action or barrel. Lots of grease in the receiver though. Glad it was stored well. Came from Vermont, but no back story from the dealer. It's been sitting for quite awhile, but I bet it's been hunted with a lot in the 20th century.
Sorry for all the natter, but this carbine fits my hunting style.Perfectly balanced, but I need a peep in my old age at least.
The S102K seems hard to find so far.