New member...new Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Lead Snowstorm

Re: New member...new Krag

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Awesome info, especially the rear sight - that had me a bit confused. Didn't look like the pictures of the 1902 sights I'd seen, but didn't look exactly like the 1898s either.

Glad to hear the opinion about value - I found this one online, and with shipping and transfer fees I'm into it for about $770. This particular rifle filled the gap in my collection between the 1873 and the 1903. Have to decide now if I want to focus on getting more of the variants of the cartridge era (1884, 92/96 Krags, carbines, etc) or to go farther back in time...

Alas, the butt trap was empty. Double alas, I haven't fired it yet. I have to admit right now I'm in a 'collecting' phase - with a couple of toddlers I have some time to shop, little enough time/space to shoot and clean...!

Here are some photos of the front sight...let me know if any other photos would be useful:

img

img

img

img

Whig

Post by Whig »

Not at all! I have too much to learn from others to ever be offended. Thanks for the comments, though. I just like to be able to help others and be on the same "page" as those who have been studying these things longer than I have. Only way to learn.

That's why it would be neat for the KCA, often regarded as THE resource for people to go to for Krag info, to adopt and agree on a reference source for at least getting close for Krag manufacture dates.

Heck, we could all be wrong but at least we would agree!

Happy 4th coming up.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Lead- Thanks for the additional pictures. Nothing surprising or concerning. There is honest wear to the barrel and parts but it all looks to be fairly consistent throughout which is something we like to see.

If parts had been changed in the recent past 50 years or so outside of the armory, the wear and patina usually don't match. That makes us suspicious that someone buggered with the rifle who may have done some hidden damage. But, yours looks real good and hopefully will be a great shooter when you get some ammo.

Like you, I bought a Springfield Trapdoor rifle a while ago to add to my collection of Krags because there is a lot of similarity in the Springfield rifles and you can follow the progress made in military firearms by collecting pieces from different times and battles. The Krag has a wonderful variety in its short history to keep you looking and learning for years.

Keep collecting and keep the pictures coming. Thanks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Lead_Snowstorm' - That is the correct front-sight blade for all the variations of the 1902 sight. IMHO - You have legitimate sights on your Krag.

A good place to get a correct Krag oil bottle and three-section rod (for the butt-trap) is "Grandpa's Gunparts" (in the KCA 'classifieds'). He sells the set for about $50 and they are legitimate.

On ebay he goes by 'Movieman630' and postage is free - (Great Service!).