1898 cut down rifle?

U.S. Military Krags
concretus

1898 cut down rifle?

Post by concretus »

Hello everyone and thank you for allowing me to join...
I just registered after seeing this site...Considering I have a couple of US model 1898's and really enjoy shooting them I see there is a world if information here...
I recently purchased a model 1898 carbine;(I believe it was a rifle cut down) and was hoping to get a little information on it. the S/N is 1946XX the cartouche says 1898 with the initials C.A. just forward it. It has the 1901 type rear sight, front and rear sling swivels (I apologize if I get any terms incorrect), and the 1903 Springfield front sight band and blade. The finish is about 70-75% and the bore is bright and shiny; one of the main reasons I bought it. Shoots Sierra 175gr MK like a dream! I read that after the 1903 was adopted. The DCM and NRA cut down Krag rifles to carbine type to sell to the public. Is that accurate? I realize these don't command the value and desire of the "true" carbines but any information or history on them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Culpeper

Re: 1898 cut down rifle?

Post by Culpeper »

First, welcome to the site. You are among friends here.

Having said that it would help us by having pictures of your Krag.

There is a photos section here where you can compare your guns to un-messed with guns.

http://kragcollectorsassociation.org/photos/

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

concretus

Post by concretus »

Here are some photos... I apologize for some not oriented correctly. Photobucket can be a real PITA sometimes....

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

[URL=http://s850.photobucket.com/user/concretus/media/IMG_7

concretus

Post by concretus »

And More:

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

concretus

Post by concretus »

And a few more.... As you can see. the handguard is a replacement. I show the original one there also...

img

img

img

img

FredC

Post by FredC »

Looking at that crown I am not sure if it is an official NRA/DCM conversion. It is nicely done, I would be happy to own such a nice looking carbine, official or not.

Culpeper

Re: 1898 cut down rifle

Post by Culpeper »

A M1903 front sight on a Krag is always a dead giveaway of a cut down rifle. But I like the rest of the rifle especially the rear sight.

I don't know how you removed the handguard and you may already know how to remove them but the correct way is to remove the rear sight and then slide the sight to the front sight and carefully lift it off. This is more of an instruction to folks new to Krags lurking out on the net.

Don't ask me how I found out. (sniff, sniff)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

concretus

Post by concretus »

Thanks for the replies and feedback...

FredC

Post by FredC »

Don't go away, a lot more info will be forthcoming. I have an article published in Gun Digest about the "Last Krag" at the house. I think it was the NRA/DCM conversion, these will not be the valuable original carbines, but conversions done at the west coast armory to move the surplus Krags out faster. I can not remember all the details, whether the barrel was given a full crown and was the 1903 Springfield sight used. Other gunsmiths and kitchen table mechanics could have followed the pattern, to make a handier deer rifle out of the original rifles.
Others will reply soon with the details.

concretus

Post by concretus »

Don't go away, a lot more info will be forthcoming. I have an article published in Gun Digest about the "Last Krag" at the house. I think it was the NRA/DCM conversion, these will not be the valuable original carbines, but conversions done at SA (I think) to move the surplus Krags out faster. I can not remember all the details, whether the barrel was given a full crown and was the 1903 Springfield sight used. Other gunsmiths and kitchen table mechanics could have followed the pattern, to make a handier deer rifle out of the original rifles.
Others will reply soon with the details.

I'm not going anywhere...