1898 cut down rifle?

U.S. Military Krags
FredC

Re: 1898 cut down rifle?

Post by FredC »

I attached a photo of the action tool that I used. There was another shop made tool posted in the last couple of years, but I did not find it.
It is the one on the left with the 2 different color screws and a little wider than 3/4 inch. I do not remember which clamp I put in the milling machine vice but I turned the other with the auto wrench in the photo. The 1/8 pin on the clamp was put up against the magazine box to insure the clamp did not slip and mark the action. Was not necessary in this case as the barrel was not real tight. The bushing on the right was used to bush for holding the finished barrel. I bored it out after the first use then needed to bush it to finish. The clamp in the middle was used on the barrel.

Galvinator77

Post by Galvinator77 »

Hole size in the action clamp?

FredC

Post by FredC »

I did not write the number down and it is hard to measure on the split clamp. Both of my Krags are assembled and I do not want to break them down to measure.
Thought of it later, do you want to borrow this one and the barrel clamp? Pay the shipping both ways and pad the clamps with paste board while you are using them so they do not get scarred up. We can send it today if you want. Send me a private message with your email address and we can work out the details if you want to do this.

Galvinator77

Post by Galvinator77 »

That will work, will PM address. if the shipping cost is not on the lable let me know how much and I will include the reimbursement in the box when i ship them back. You can ship FEDEX or UPS to my wife's work address for s reduced shipping cost. She ships stuff worldwide at her job so they come everyday.

Thanks again, Mark!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Will send tomorrow FedEx to your wife's business place.

You do have a large vice and Crescent wrench?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I have lots of vices (and a wench)! ::) (I do have a vise in the garage).

Galvinator77

Post by Galvinator77 »

Yes I have a large machinists bench vise and multiple large crescent wrenches, though your wrench looks more like what I would call a square jawed monkey wrench. Have one of those also.

Mark

FredC

Post by FredC »

I am pretty sure a 24 inch crescent will do possibly a 18 inch also. My large Crescent wrenches are outside with the ranch tools. The "auto wrench" was used since it was handy and worked fine. If a cheater had been necessary the auto wrench would have had to been replaced with a Crescent as they can stand the extra torque.
We initiated the FedEx pick up which will happen tomorrow. Will email the tracking #.

Butlersrangers you are just too funny. Not sure how much torque your wench can develop. I have a wife than needs help with pickle jars.

Galvinator77

Post by Galvinator77 »

Apparently this is one of the tight barrel to receiver rifles! Have the barrel clamped, receiver block installed and carded to protect the finish) and have a wrench w/ a 4' cheater bar on it. All it wants to do is turn the barrel in the bushing. Full disclosure inn case I am being a moron I did not disassemble the magazine parts from the rifle as it did not look like it would make a difference. Put Kroil on the barrel to receiver seam and letting it set.

Mark

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

You might give Chuck Moline a call at Warpath Vintage.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member