This old Krag Rifle is new to me

U.S. Military Krags
boomer

This old Krag Rifle is new to me

Post by boomer »

My intro to Krags was with a sporter I picked up earlier this year. I'm sure you all know how that goes .... one thing leads to another. Anyway, I just received this rifle today and I'm hoping the experts on this forum will help me identify exactly what I have as I take it apart.

First, I want to note that the wood and metal is very dry - it doesn't appear that anything has been done to this rifle in a long long time. I'm thinking it may be best to get some oil working on it - RLO for the wood and gun oil for the metal - before I start taking things apart.

Attached are the photo's I've taken so far - I'll be glad to take more photo's of anything I've missed that you think would be helpful. ImageImageImageImage

boomer

Re: This old Krag Rifle is new to me

Post by boomer »

More photo'sImageImageImageImage

boomer

Post by boomer »

and more photo'sImageImageImageImageImage

boomer

Post by boomer »

Last batch of photo's. I've included the stock markings here even though they are almost non-existent.ImageImageImageImage

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

"I'm thinking it may be best to get some oil working on it - RLO for the wood and gun oil for the metal - before I start taking things apart." Sounds like a good approach.

Do wait awhile before you try disassembly. What I see in the photos is a nearly-original model '92 that has survived 120+ years without significant molestation. As such, it may have greater value as-is than with more burred screw heads or other damage from unnecessary disassembly.

The experts here will soon join in to give you better advice and evaluation than I can.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Congratulations on your new acquisition. It may not be in perfect condition, but it sure has a lot going for it. Definitely worth the time to get it back in better shape and preserve it. If it were mine I would take the good advise that comes out of this forum. I would also get a book on gun restoration and study up on it some taking my good sweet time. Enjoy.

98src

Post by 98src »

Valuable original M92 with the only upgrade being the M96 rear sight ( which was probably done by the military ).

Fred G.

Post by Fred G. »

Nice rifle.
Dont be afraid of disassembling. Its not a minty unissued rifle so you wont damage it unless youve never used a screw driver before.
I believe Linseed oil is better for the wood than anything else.
I LIKE it! Thanks for sharing this boomer.

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

Forgive my ignorance, why do you guys say it is a model '92, when it is stamped 1894?

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Good question Capt Frank!

According to Brophy's book "The Krag Rifle", The model 1892 is exceptional because it is identified by the year designation of 1892, although none was manufactured until 1894... Model 1892 receivers can be dated either 1894 or 1895.

Collectors generally agree, according to Brophy, is that there are two types:

Type 1 has a solid upper band and a brass-tipped cleaning rod under the barrel.

Type 2 has an open upper band and one-piece steel cleaning rod.

What I think is especially interesting, besides being a Model 1892, is seeing some features that brought about changes to future models. For example the chunk of wood missing near the butt plate toe. Later models incorporated a butt plate that had the toe curved inward to protect the wood.