Model 1892 to 1896 Krag Jorgensen

U.S. Military Krags
Knute1

Model 1892 to 1896 Krag Jorgensen

Post by Knute1 »

I've been conversing with an uncle (in his 80's) about an ancestor (his grandfather, my great-grandfather) over the phone lately. Our ancestor was in the 14th Infantry Regiment and carried a Krag in the Filippino Insurrection and the Boxer Rebellion. My uncle just offered me to buy a Krag he apparently bought some years back. It's a Model 1892 upgraded to 1896. Serial #21XX. Still in military configuration, good bore, still has the stamping in the stock (1894 dated). I only met him maybe a dozen times, but know him to be a stand up guy. He offered it to me for $750. That is all he wants, no more. Just what he had in it. He will be dropping it off at my parents house in the next month for me to look at it before buying when I get up home. You're kidding me.............right? How can I pass this up? I presently have a sporterized 1896, which I have enjoyed shooting. If this Model 1892 is as good as he says it should be worth more, but I won't be letting go of it. Somebody pinch me!!! If I get it (should be a for sure thing) I'll post some pics.

Kerz

Re: Model 1892 to 1896 Krag Jorgensen

Post by Kerz »

Can't offer much help on pricing but sounds good to me. I'm sure the experts will provide some good advice. I do know condition is dang near everything.

I've got a couple of 98s. My first was a project gun that started out reasonable in a trade but eventually ended up$800+ (new barrel, handguard, sights, shipping (2 trips to gunsmith), ejector, magazine box parts, etc. So goes the story. Ha! And damn if it still ain't in the shop for feeding issues and headspace too tight. The second 98 is very nice. Purchased for $650 shipped.

Anxious to see your new acquisition. Pics are always good!

Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Unfortunately, I may be jumping the gun (pun intended) since I started this post without seeing the gun, only a description. But I couldn't contain myself and wanted to share with others that may understand my excitement. My uncle does not have a computer so he won't be sending me any pictures. This won't be instant gratification, so I will just have to wait for him to come down from the north with the gun for me to see during a visit that isn't scheduled yet. He is about 4-5 hours away. If it isn't soon I may have to make the trip up. I have only recently discovered that my uncle was once an avid gun collector and had more than a few Winchesters (1873, 1876, 1886, 1895, etc). I did not realize that he had any Krag Jorgensens until a day ago.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Knute1' - It is good to savor and anticipate adding an original Krag to your collection!

The early model 1892 Krags updated to model 1896 configuration in the early 1900's are an interesting variation.

If you do not have it, I would suggest you purchase a copy of Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". It is not perfect, but, will explain a lot and answer basic questions. It will make your wait more productive! It sells for about $25 on eBay.

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

Unfortunately, I may be jumping the gun (pun intended) since I started this post without seeing the gun, only a description. But I couldn't contain myself and wanted to share with others that may understand my excitement. My uncle does not have a computer so he won't be sending me any pictures. This won't be instant gratification, so I will just have to wait for him to come down from the north with the gun for me to see during a visit that isn't scheduled yet. He is about 4-5 hours away. If it isn't soon I may have to make the trip up. I have only recently discovered that my uncle was once an avid gun collector and had more than a few Winchesters (1873, 1876, 1886, 1895, etc). I did not realize that he had any Krag Jorgensens until a day ago.

Even though this Krag is an antique, it might be wise to consider going up north yourself. (If Wisconsin, it is an adjoining state) Asking anyone from outside Ill Annoy to bring any firearm - even an antique - into Ill Annoy without a FOID card should , at least, be looked into. When I lived there, antiques were not a problem unless there was ammunition present, but in the time since I left, I've heard that things have only gotten worse.

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Damn shame! I never even gave a second thought to problems of bringing a Krag, or any other firearm, into the state. But I don't live in Illinois either.
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

My uncle lives in central Wisconsin. My folks live in southwestern Wisconsin. I live in northwestern Illinois, just 20 miles south of the Cheese Curtain. I'll be bringing it through the Cheese Curtain with my FOID card into Foidistan (Illinois). Won't be a problem, but thanks for the concern. Just something we have to live with in Illinois due to Chicago Land politics. Fortunately, my county Sheriff has the same views as most of us do. He recommends that I get conceal/carry. After all, a lot of criminals carry.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Picked her up today after work and just got home after passing back through the cheddar curtain. Needed to wind down before going to bed, so I thought I'd share my new acquisition.
My uncle at first wanted $750. He came down to $650 before I even started talking price. But after some expert negotiating on my part I gave him $700 ;). He included a Spanish-American service badge with it, 1898 book on the Spanish-American War and an oiler (which I need to check out if it is proper for this gun).
The gun isn't exactly what I heard over the phone, but it is still in original military condition. The top line on the receiver reads "U.S." The second line reads "1894. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY
21015". So this puts it into 1896. The cartouche also indicates 1896. The cleaning rod groove has the usual expertly installed filler piece and has the rounded bottom versus the squared off bottom. I believe everything is correct except for the sling. I'll post pictures as time allows. There are three sections of cleaning rods in the butt.
My uncle knew me as a young boy, not as an almost grown man at the age of 59. He doesn't know my dry sense of humor. So when I told him after the deal that all I needed to do now was to shorten the barrel and put a scope on it, well, that was a mean thing to do to a 84 year old man. Took a lot of explaining on my part to calm him down and that the gun wasn't going to be altered. Won't do that again. Sorry Uncle Gordon.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I have one rather close (20197) which is still as built - or -as Joe Farmer calls the wobblers in this general area a "Magazine Rifle", neither an 1892 nor an 1896, but with features of both.

Flat muzzle
Long cleaning rod
1896 rear sight, but still with short handguard
Thin-wrist stock
Thick curved buttplate without trap.
[JSA/1896] cartouche

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

So I have:
A crowned muzzle.
Curved butt plate with trap.
Cleaning rods in trap.
1896 sight, long handguard.
JSA/1896 cartouche.
Cleaning rod channel under barrel filled in with rounded strip.

Dick, are you suggesting this is a "transitional" set up? Using up some of the Model 1892 parts (stock, etc.) with some of the newly developed Model 1896 parts before getting into the full blown Model 1896 Model?