New member and new 1896 carbine

U.S. Military Krags
spooby504

New member and new 1896 carbine

Post by spooby504 »

Greetings! New member, and new Krag owner. I found this 1896 no model saddle ring carbine at a pawn shop, and at price I couldn't walk away from. It appears to be all correct, but at the moment I do not have any reference material yet. There are several places on the stock that are damaged, or cracked, such as the upper hand guard. Would it hurt the value if I had them professionally repaired?Image

spooby504

Re: New member and new 1896 carbine

Post by spooby504 »

Another photoImage

spooby504

Post by spooby504 »

Cracked handguardImage

spooby504

Post by spooby504 »

CarbineImage

spooby504

Post by spooby504 »

C on the sight leaf, and a C on the sight base,Image

spooby504

Post by spooby504 »

The circled part is somehow attached to the receiver. What would be the best way to repair it? Or, was this a ordnance repair, and I should leave it alone? I'm afraid it may pop off, and I'll lose it. Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'spooby504' - Congratulations, it looks like you found a correct early model 1896 carbine.

IMHO - The Stock and Hand-Guard cracks and damage are serious blemishes. Competent wood repairs would make this carbine more eye appealing. An excellent repair would be preferable to an eyesore blemish.

However, doing nothing is better than a crude repair. It is hard to find people who do competent and affordable stock repairs.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Having the correct rear sight is one of the highlights of your new Krag. If nothing else was good, that alone is worth around $500. I have searched for them and know how hard an authentic 1896 Carbine sight costs. The shadow on the screw in the front of the rear sight makes it look like it doesn't fit. It should screw down flush.

Would you mind sharing what you paid for this?

I agree that it might be best to leave it as it is unless you find someone competent to glue the cracks. I have unglued a few that were done poorly.

Nice find, though!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Whig' - I believe the front screw, on Krag model 1892 and model 1896 rear-sights, normally stands rather 'proud'. This is the case with the examples I have and what I see in published pictures. The OP's sight mounting looks correct to me.

The 'countersink' for the front screw is not very deep on the model 1896 sight-base. (By contrast, correct model 1898 and model 1902 sight screws are nicely flush when in place).

Attached photo of 1896 carbine sight shows why a lot of the front screw-head would be visible.Image

spooby504

Post by spooby504 »

I apologize for not getting back sooner. I got laid off from my job Monday, and have been dealing with that.

'Whig', I paid $459.03 for it after the 20% discount. Believe me, I was not going to leave it there, even if I had to eat ramen noodles for a month! Haha! I also checked the front screw, and it was tight. Yes, it is a little proud, but it is secure. I'm definitely going to find a professional who will fix the hand guard and stock. It's to nice of a rifle to half-arse a repair job like that.

I'm trying to remember if I read correctly about the magazine cutoff. I checked mine, and when the cutoff is down, the bolt will pick up a cartridge, but in the up position it blocks the rounds. I thought it was the other way around in the 1896 model. Unless, it was one piece that was updated. Anyhow, thanks guys. I'm excited about this carbine, and am looking forward to shooting it some.