Springfield Armory Photographs circa 1905

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Springfield Armory Photographs circa 1905

Post by butlersrangers »

The Detroit Publishing Company had photographers in the Field documenting 'Landmark' buildings, natural sights, and social events and situations in the 1890s to 1924.

Some exterior photographs were taken at Springfield Armory, circa 1899-1910. Some of these photos bear 1905 copyrights.

(Note the 'Tennis Court', actually at rear of the Armory building).ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Springfield Armory Photographs circa 1905

Post by butlersrangers »

Pictures of the grounds, and captured French cannon.ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A couple of similar views of the 'Water Shops' make it look like some expansion went on between 1899 and 1905.

(p.s. - Extension on Water Shops was added in 1901).ImageImage

Flatlander15

Post by Flatlander15 »

Wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing. That time period is so fascinating. The buildings, wardrobe, all things mechanical. If anybody else has more don't hesitate to share with the rest of us.

Flatlander15

Post by Flatlander15 »

And if anybody is in or near Michigan and loves history, make it a point to go to the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village. It's the only thing that can get me into Dearborn, but it's literally a whole different world.

soldierofhistory1898

Post by soldierofhistory1898 »

I really wonder if any of those buildings and the surrounding landscape still exist? It would be interesting to see some then and now photos of the area. I always enjoy the pictures you manage to dig up.
Thanks, S.O.H. 1898
P.S. I wonder when we captured that French cannon? I don't recall the U.S. ever being at war with France.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

As always Chuck... you come up with the truly amazing pictures!!! Thanks very much for all of this and more...

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The French cannon barrel likely was captured during The French and Indian War (1759-1763).

(Springfield Armory was closed in 1968).

The Main Arsenal Building and Commandant's House are now managed by the National Park Service. (The 'Arsenal' houses the Springfield Armory Museum).

Neighboring Springfield Technical Community College occupies part of the Armory grounds and many original Armory buildings.

The Water Shops complex is located some distance away. It was built 'down the hill' at a Dam on the Mill River for water power. It was there that heavy metal forging, some metal forming, and barrel making occurred.

The Water Shops are now a privately owned industrial site. The main building was severely damaged by fire in 1988.

I have never been to Springfield, Mass. It is definitely on my 'Bucket List'.ImageImageImageImage

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

I also really enjoy the old photos.
Thanks for posting
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I have marked an old map showing the location of Armory Square (Hill Shops) in relationship to Water Shops on Mill River.

The 1899 "Scientific American" articles gave nice graphics and description of Armory operations.ImageImageImageImage