Hey new member and looking at a krag

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: Hey new member and looking at a krag

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Have you looked at www.gunbroker.com? Their selection is usually much larger than the site to which you refer, whose offerings, for my money, are often over-priced and poorly described.

olderthansome

Re: Hey new member and looking at a krag

Post by olderthansome »

Your serial number is from 1898, not from 1899. If the given date of 1899 comes from the cartouche on the stock, I would guess the stock has been added. The rear sight is probably a 1902, but there aren't enough details visible to be certain. The sling is likewise not showing enough detail, but I'm pretty sure it's from a later period than 1898. Perhaps the stock, sling and sight are from an update, but I'd more likely guess that this is a "marriage" of various accessories. The muzzle cover is worth something in the high 2 figures and the bayonet is worth at least 100 if truly not sharpened. The date, hanger and scabbard detail and overall condition could yield more.

All that said, I'd be hard pressed to say the value is 1695. Unless the serial number is a "hit", IMHO the package value is closer to 895 to 995. Better photos and details on the sight, sling, bayonet, level of finish of the metal and condition of the wood would help to better determine a more accurate number. As I said, this is just my opinion.

Hope this helps.