1896 rear sight

U.S. Military Krags
Just_Joe

1896 rear sight

Post by Just_Joe »

I have having trouble finding the thread about rear sights and what is correct for the 1896 Carbines. Was the rear sight set with elevation only? or could you adjust left or right?

I keep hearing the older generation talk about it at gun shows.

psteinmayer

Re: 1896 rear sight

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy Joe,

Well... your question could have several answers depending on a few things. Which rear sight do you have? Depending on whether your carbine has been through an arsenal rebuild/update, it could have one of a few different sights, and any of them would be correct. All carbine rear sights are clearly marked as such, and are calibrated different than rifle rear sights (which makes some fakes easy to spot). The 1896 sight has elevation only, while the 1898, 1901 or 1902 have windage and elevation. If you go to the photo page on this site, you'll find some pictures which will identify the different rifle and carbine rear sights, and the correct associated hand guards.

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe »

I ran into a guy at the gun show. He was talking about the rear sight on a Krag Carbine. He was saying that all Carbine sights were adjustable for windage. I have never heard some one make a blunt statement like that.

I was just wondering?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Sounds to me like one of those "Know-it-all" types who seem to have an answer for everything. I've run into quite a few of them at shows.

The 1896 Carbine sight, just like the 1896 Rifle sight was not adjustable for windage. The 1892 Rifle sight was also not adjustable for windage.

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe »

Thank you. :)