1896 Krag Rifle [advice needed - PICS Added]

U.S. Military Krags
AzMedic

Re: 1896 Krag Rifle [advice needed - PICS Added]

Post by AzMedic »

Thank you all for the advice on the books....
1st one I got was Mr. Poyer's [2nd edition revised] and just received Col Brophy's [1st edition BeinFeld] and Mr. Mallory's (2nd Edition SRS) in the mail - so sitting down to read them as I can...
I'm awaiting a reply from the seller of the rifle - & it would be a great addition to my Krag carbine...my concern was the barrel condition of the rifle....the measurements I posted are from the Carbine (which I haven't taken out to exercise yet) - just barely found some 'food' for it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'AzMedic' - Which Edition of Franklin Mallory's book did you get?

I have the 2nd edition, which I enjoy because of added content and tables of SRS data, Mallory included.

AzMedic

Post by AzMedic »

2nd addition as well and also updated the above information (book editions) in my post above.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'AzMedic':

You have a nice library, with which, to further enjoy your Krags.

I enjoy the different approaches and varied coverage in the works mentioned.

I especially like Sigurd Halverson's coverage of Norwegian Krags in Chapter 16 of Brophy's book.

Lots of collectors, these days, seem to miss the significance of a good library and overly depend on the internet.

Yesterday, on a Civil War site, I saw this picture labeled as: "Berdan Sharps Rifle". (Well, it appears to be a Russian Berdan Rifle, but, it certainly is not the Sharp's Rifle, carried by Berdan's Sharpshooters)!Image

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

regarding the ME, don't bleed till you are cut. I bet you will be surprised at the precise shooting you will achieve. Shoot cast and you may very well be amazed at how well it shoots.