1898 Bolt Face and Inletting

U.S. Military Krags
flyer92

1898 Bolt Face and Inletting

Post by flyer92 »

Greetings again, and hope everyone is having a good Labor Day Weekend!

I recently purchased a NOS Krag bolt that I believe is an 1898 (it at least fits and works flawlessly in my 1898 rifle; headspace is excellent). However, I noticed that the bolt face and inletting along the bolt body are both blued. I've never seen anything like that before (remember, I'm still a newbie), and yet I'm pretty certain this bolt is legit and has never been messed with or used. Just curious if they came from the arsenal this way and why.

Also would appreciate it if you experts can confirm that this is an 1898 bolt. Even though everything fits/functions fine, I'd rather be 100% certain before I shoot my first round! MANY thanks...ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: 1898 Bolt Face and Inletting

Post by butlersrangers »

'flyer92' - That is a correct (NOS) model 1898 Krag bolt. It is a good example of how pretty Krag parts were, when they left Springfield Armory 'Brand New'. (I have an identical looking bolt. They are real).

If I understand correctly, the Krag bolt was hardened with potassium cyanide. It is likely after the 'heat treat', the bolt would have a color.

The 'Standard Finish' applied to the bolt at the end of production was: "Polished".

IMHO - The blackened areas on your bolt are simply the 'low spots' where the color from hardening was protected. It would ultimately wear off from use.

flyer92

Re: 1898 Bolt Face and Inletting

Post by flyer92 »

Fascinating, Butler...and thanks. Great insight and info as usual. Much appreciated!